Question about Embden geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChickieBooBoo, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'm in the process of getting an embden gosling as a friend for my pilgrim, the lady selling them asked me this but I wasn't sure. I don't know anything about embdens. I told her I'd find out and get back to her.

I'm curious and you may be able to tell me. Is it true that an embden goose can carry a silver gene and have black feathers on its tail and wings?​

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Emdens are white with blue eyes, period

3. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Quote:Just to clarify. IAJEWEL is 100% correct for adult Embdens. Embden goslings will have light grayish patches on them, usually for a couple of months and sometimes longer. The adult though is solid white with blue eyes just as iajewel says.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Just to clarify. IAJEWEL is 100% correct for adult Embdens. Embden goslings will have light grayish patches on them, usually for a couple of months and sometimes longer. The adult though is solid white with blue eyes just as iajewel says.

Beautiful blue eyes I might add, Love my Emden gander [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Young embden females will have grey feathers on their wings and backs until they go through their first molt. Adult embden females and adult males are pure white; young embden males should also be pure white with maybe a few spots of grey.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by