Question about embdens

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have 3 adult embdens, 2 that I know for sure are ganders, and 1 that I'm not sure about. I was told it was a goose, but I haven't seen 'her' being bred, laying eggs, or anything. She does have the behavior of a goose...very shy, quiet, etc...but I'm just not sure.

One thing I've noticed about them is a difference in their breast feathers? They are all 3 pure white, but the 2 known ganders have what looks like a 'seam' down their breasts, right in the center. The one that should be a goose does not have this seam.

Another question is about the supposed goose. I bought her and one of the ganders about 2 months ago, the other gander I hatched last season. I was wondering, if perhaps the goose had had goslings when she was sold, would that make her not lay anymore this year? I know if she had hatched and raised them, she probably wouldn't lay anymore, I'm just looking for clues as to why my 'goose' is not laying. I know that moving her could also make her stop if she had been laying, but I would think she'd have started back up by now if she were capable.

The 2 I bought (1 gander for sure, and 1 goose most likely) were said to be about 14 months old when I got them, so about 16 months old now. They are just starting to get their lobes on their bellies, my younger gander (will be 1 in June) still does not have them.

Back
Top Bottom