Question about embdens

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shelleyd2008, May 25, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 3 adult embdens, 2 that I know for sure are ganders, and 1 that I'm not sure about. I was told it was a goose, but I haven't seen 'her' being bred, laying eggs, or anything. She does have the behavior of a goose...very shy, quiet, etc...but I'm just not sure.

One thing I've noticed about them is a difference in their breast feathers? They are all 3 pure white, but the 2 known ganders have what looks like a 'seam' down their breasts, right in the center. The one that should be a goose does not have this seam.

Another question is about the supposed goose. I bought her and one of the ganders about 2 months ago, the other gander I hatched last season. I was wondering, if perhaps the goose had had goslings when she was sold, would that make her not lay anymore this year? I know if she had hatched and raised them, she probably wouldn't lay anymore, I'm just looking for clues as to why my 'goose' is not laying. I know that moving her could also make her stop if she had been laying, but I would think she'd have started back up by now if she were capable.

The 2 I bought (1 gander for sure, and 1 goose most likely) were said to be about 14 months old when I got them, so about 16 months old now. They are just starting to get their lobes on their bellies, my younger gander (will be 1 in June) still does not have them.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Shelley, she was probably done laying. All my Sebbies were done laying by then. If that's the case, she won't lay again until next year.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by