question about exterior nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7&8, Sep 18, 2011.

1. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I'm wanting to install two exterior nest boxes that the hens will be able to access from the inside of the coop, and that I can open from the exterior to gather eggs. I have a "chickens/ sq' space issue," and I am hoping this will free up the interior lay out just a bit. But, it's very important to me that the boxes are extremely weather tight. And I can't quite envision how to design & build them into the outer wall of the existing coop. Photos, words of wisdom, please? [​IMG]

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have gotten so many great ideas from looking at the coop photos on the home page. They often show photos of coop being built. [​IMG]

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
  4. PGH

PGH New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    Check out my page, I built exterior mounted boxes.

Hope this helps

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    7&8, I did the exterior next box thing to minimize floor space being taken up. I built them in my shop as self contained units that simply slid into place through an opening I framed up for them when framing the walls for coop. You can go to my page and see pics of the progress. They work great, easy to access from outside, etc... I do have a problem with a few girls wanting to next on the edge of them however, but I plan on trying an idea to remedy that today. Anyway, good luck. Oh, one more thing. Provide a wide overhang of roof over the area where your nest boxes will be. will help with keeping rain out.
    Erik

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If you are going to have exterior nest boxes, please make sure you keep an eye as to what is going on inside of your chicken house, etc. with your chickens. [​IMG]

7. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Interesting thought, but not sure how to take your suggestion [​IMG] Perhaps you are imagining that because I want to free up a few sq' of precious interior coop space by installing exterior mount nest boxes I will not be going in this coop as often? [​IMG]

Anyhow, thank you for your concern! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    7&8 :

Quote:Interesting thought, but not sure how to take your suggestion [​IMG] Perhaps you are imagining that because I want to free up a few sq' of precious interior coop space by installing exterior mount nest boxes I will not be going in this coop as often? [​IMG]

Anyhow, thank you for your concern! [​IMG]

The reason that I mentioned that was because I found this fella inside my chicken house as well as a chicken that was near death from a heat related illness. If I would have had exterior nest boxes and would have only picked the eggs and went on about my dailiy chores and not walked in the chicken house, the little fella would have still been in there eating all of the eggs and my girl would have been dead because I would not have been able to administer help to her.

Now don't get me wrong, exterior nest boxes are wonderful for many people but as far as my setup, I am not able to have them. I have too many chickens and I have to visually look EVERYWHERE to make sure that everything is ok.

Just a heads up. But you may not have to worry about the issues that I have had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What would be going on inside the coop? How does this correlate with external nesting boxes?
    Never mind [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    If your worried about space, perhaps you could make another level in your coop. Like a second floor. I did that for one half of my coop, it stopped the older girls pecking a younger ones so much. I think the girls like to be able to get out of sight of each other but all still be able to stay inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by