question about eye drops for dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pbjmaker, Sep 11, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I gave my dog a bath last night and got soap in her eye. It is fairly irratated today. It was actually dawn dishsoap - nothing medicated.

Do you think it would be OK to put people eye drops in it?

She is a 1 yr old Bichon.

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    First off, let me suggest that you go and get a proper dog shampoo; they even make sensitive skin and tearless varieties. 'Human' soaps can be left behind on the skin {or enter the eyes in your case} and cause irritation.

There's even waterless shampoos available now! Just apply to a dry coat and brush out. Alternately you can use baking soda.

But as for eye drops, I would simply use a pure saline solution, for sensitive eyes or something. You know, the kind people with contacts use?

It might be a good thing to have on hand in case something gets in her eye anyway. A first aid kit item maybe?

The red should lessen as time goes on, but rinsing would help speed it up. [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Be very careful that it doesn't get infected. Call your vet and see what he/she recommends. I have a Lhasa Apso. When I shampoo him, I use Pyranha Horse/Dog Shampoo on his body and a tearless puppy shampoo on his head. Dish soap can have a drying effect and can damage the eyes. Please ask a vet for advice.

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have dog shampoo of various kinds. We are working on a flea issue with her.

Flea shampoos are not working, frontline is not working, capstar works temporarily.

I have probably $100 worth of different dog shampoos.

Dawn was recommended as something that seems to cut down the fleas.

Yes I have cleaned, vaccumm and treated the house and yard too.

The question was about eye drops.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Also, remember that if the soap irritated the dog's eye he may have rubbed or scratched it and gotten a corneal abrasion. If the soap thing happened yesterday, I would think that the redness would have already gone away.

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I gave her the bath around 10 pm last night. Sorry if I came off angry about the shampoo. I am just sooooo frustrated about the fleas. I will no longer go back to the vet I had because her vet tech told me to my face there was no way I was using frontline because it works and I wouldn't have fleas.

I have used it successfully for years but it has definately lost its affectiveness around here. I can name about 6 other people I know with the same problem.

I will rinse her eye with some saline and then watch it. If it doesn't get any better by tomorrow I will try and get into the vet I used to use. They were pretty nice but far away and then refused to get my dog in for an appointment when she was dying. That receptionist has long been fired.

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sure you tried to rinse it out? If it is still irritated do not use Visine or something that will 'get the red out'. You can use any kind of eye drop that is used to treat dry eyes, like Systane.

Horsejody has a good point about a possible corneal abrasion if she has been trying to scratch he eye.

Have you tried Comfortis? Its a new product that I have heard really good things about from various dog owners.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There are other products besides frontline. My dog is prone to seizures and doesn't do well with frontline. He takes a monthly pill. I think it's called Sentinel. It works quite well for my dog. It's for heartworm prevention and fleas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by