Question about eye injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Dec 25, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

One of my girls had white stuff on one of her eyes days ago. I was going to inspect her, and could not find her among all the same looking girls. So I thought she just had some stuff on the eye and simple shook it off. Today I saw it again, so I've called my husband to round them all up and check one by one. Sure enough she shook it off again, but I saw that her feathers were crusty around the eye. Her eye itself looks fine. Nothing swollen and I could not find puss either. I still think she has a minor eye infection going, because I saw write foam before. I think it is the drake that has caused it. She is missing a lot of feathers on her neck, much more then the rest. I did rinse out her eye and gave her some of my allergy eye drops since this was all I had in the house. It will help a little bit with inflammation and rinse the eye out but it does not contain antibiotics. We let her go after the drop was put in and sure enough he chased her down and jumped on top of her grabbing her neck. No sex, but true dominance. Trouble maker! Anyway I will call my vet and ask for eye drops when he is back open, but wonder if there is something over the counter available that does contain some form of antibiotic. Any ideas?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think you probably have to have a prescription for opthalmic antibiotic drops, unfortunately. But, there are some OTC drops that treat conjunctivitis in humans, including some homeopathic types. I'd just check whatever local pharmacy is open and see what they have. Even plain opthalmic saline solution to just rinse the eye would help a lot - it flushes out the bacteria and any pus. Drops with boric acid might help as well.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Just took a look at my book for animal care. Vetropolycin is what I really need. It's an eye cream for eye infection for animals. Vets also prescribe it for dogs and cats. Turns out one of our dogs needs a shot. My husband will call the vet for an appointment tomorrow, wasn't sure if they are open. It's easy to get in the same day and we will ask for the cream right there. I don't think they want to see the duck for that.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Good luck. It probably shouldn't be too hard to treat, especially with the antibiotic ointment/cream.

5. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    My ducks sometimes get a little crusty around the eye if they dont have swimming water available. I find they tend not to keep their faces clean enough with just a bucket over winter so I make sure they can have a good swim in a pool at least once a week over the cooler months. Also I will often find when they are molting they can get a little foamy around the eyes if they get a little feather or some dust in their eye- or at other times because they have something irritating them. A foamy eye is more a sign of something foriegn in the eye and like humans whose eyes water to remove it- ducks eyes get foamy. Unless it was swollen red or oozing you most likely have a duck with an irritated eye rather than an infection. If you want to get prescription antibiotics you would be better off to let the vet see her and get their proper advise.

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Feed stores carry antibiotic ophthalmic ointment, usually Terramycin, I believe.

You can also use plain old Neosporin ointment (not creme.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by