1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about family breeding in ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m496, Oct 30, 2011.

1. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Ok, I will put this as clear as possible, though it may sound confusing! hahah. Anyways, it won't be for a while until I incubate some duck eggs, but I was wondering about something. As some of you probably know, I am getting a pair (male and female) of mini silver apps. next week. So, now lets jump ahead a bit, to where I am incubating eggs that came from these two ducks. Ok, now lets say that only 3 eggs hatched which are female, and not male. Once these females grow up, I would like to put them with their mom and dad. But my question is, if the dad breeds with his daughters, but I never use the eggs for hatching purposes, will that be ok? I will probably just keep the original two (dad and mom) for hatching eggs until I bring in some new blood lines ......

Thank you!

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Actually, if you've ever read about "a line" of ducks in a breed? that means they use a bit of interbreeding to help foster good features in that "line". When all your ducks are grown, they won't care or know the difference between mom, dad, or any other duck, and it won't hurt anything if your sire drake covers his own offspring, as long as he has good features as a breeder. I personally would mix it up for the third generation though. The thing with inbreeding is that the more you combine the same set of genes, the more likely you are to pull the defects in those genes out of the grab bag.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thats fine. Its not gonna hurt anyone. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by