question about feather footed show birds

crysmom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
OUr family is just starting out with chickens, my son wants to show his bantam cochins.

I'm looking for the best ways to keep their feathered feet in tip top shape? what kind of litter ? lots of shavings? what about a run? the two we have get messy feet from going outside. Trying to figure out a way to protect their feathers any experienced suggestions? Thanks

I keep mine penned all day. They have plenty of space, since its just two tiny birds in one space. So far I haven't had any problems with the foot feathering. I know that some people bathe their birds before show, I will most likely be doing that with my Brahmas.

Funny how we all have Orps in our avatars.
smile.png

Last edited:
That's one of the difficulties with feather legged breeds. [another is leg mites-feather legged birds are very susceptible to them].
The more feather, the more difficulty maintaining the foot-feathers. ie: Brahmas are easier than Cochins are easier than d"Uccles.
Deep, soft litter helps as does minimal or no time outside in the dirt. Also helps to keep the feet & foot feathering clean. That's right, you need to occasionally wash their feet if yuck builds up.
All this is part of why I no longer keep feather legged birds-not suited to a lazy guy like me!

Individual cages & limited free ranging only during DRY conditions is what the top exhibitors do with their feather legged chooks. Lots of bedding in their cage also helps. I wash the feet of mine weeking during show season.

oops I let my range. They do have thick shavings in the coop. Has anyone tried wire or is the shavings the only way to go? Another question is when showing them if they do have damage do they take off a lot of points?

my limited understanding is, wire is very rough on foot feathering. and I've been told many times "Condition is everything" meaning I guess if your bird is missing feathers or scruffy there is no way you'll win against a bird without those issues
Quote:

As to the points/showing question: condition is very important. It's worth 10 points and condition is the first thing a judge sees. A poultry show is, after all, a beauty contest.
There's an old saying that applies. "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression".
If a judgees first impression is "look at all the broken feathers" that impression is hard to overcome. Depending on the breed/variety a judge may also wonder if a feather was broken off deliberately to hide a defect or disqualification.
Bottom line-try to keep your show birds in good condition.

My daughter raised some d'uccles on wire and it broke their feathers all to heck. She tried with the wood floor breeder cages i'd built and had mass success and jealousy reigned at the county fair for her
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom