1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about feathers.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gracegirl16, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Is there a way that I can just pluck one or two tail feathers off without hurting my girls too much? I am hoping to dye the feathers to sell as hair extensions. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The feathers used for hair extensions and fly fishing are the long saddle feathers of roosters (there's a thread in the breed,genetics, and showing section about them). They're much longer than the average rooster, who's feathers are certainly longer than a hens. I think you would be wasting your time and causing your ladies unnecessary pain by plucking their feathers as I don't think anyone would buy them. Good luck- you really should really check out that thread though. I think they're called genetic hackle chickens or something like that.

3. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    oh...ok! Thanks bunches! [​IMG]

4. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

As much as I like hair extentions, your girls need ALL their feathers! How would you like it if someone plucked out a handful of your hair to use for profit?

Instead of doing that, look for naturally lost feathers such as in their dusting area. In the coop, etc. I think this is a much better way of getting feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by