question about feed

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
I hope this belongs in this section...

I know I can put my chicks out as soon as they are fully feathered, which they are about 95%. I also have Pekins who are about 3 weeks not really feathered yet. I want to put the chickens out with my others who are about 22 weeks and just started laying.

I have been told chicks cant have layer mash but I have read that I can give them game bird feed until the chicks are older is this right? If so, will it interrupt the laying patern of my chickens who just started laying? Should I just leave the chicks inside longer or will it be ok?

Thank you!
wink.png

The thing about layer feed is that it had added calcium to help the girls form the shells. If you switch everyone over to game feed, switch the adults over slowly by gradually increasing how much them get, and make sure that they have access to free-choice oyster shell.

Do be careful about putting very young birds in with adult ones. The younger ones can get pretty beat up and won't be able to defend themselves. You might want to keep them separate for a while longer, or at least give htem a refuge where they can get away from the bigger birds (e.g. a box/cage with an opening that's big enough for them but not for the adults).

ETA: you may want to make sure that there are 2 feeding stations so that the older birds don't prevent the younger ones from eating.

Last edited:
ok! thanks! I might wait a little longer just to be safe. Just wanted to check my options!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom