question about feeders/waterers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chirpchirp, Apr 25, 2009.

1. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    hi, i am wondering the difference between the plastic and the metal feeders/waterers for chicks (or adults) i wonder if you like one or the other better and for what reasons...thanks!

2. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    sorry-posted in wrong section, but if you have an answer i will take it!

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I like plastic waterers because I use ACV, apple cider vinegar, in the water for my chickens. The acidity of ACV would corrode metal. When I decided to start ACV, I had to replace the metal waterer. Its also easy to clean. I have been using the metal feeders. That's what we bought in the first place. Seems to work well.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have both. I generally start the chicks on those little plastic one quart waterers. I use metal for the bigger birds. The trouble with plastic is that it can develop an all but invisible hairline crack and before you know it the chickens are out of water and the bedding is wet.

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I have a 2 metal feeders and a plastic waterer. When they go out to the run I'll probably switch to bigger ones in metal. Here in Colorado anything plastic that gets left out in the sun tends to get brittle easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by