Question about feeding colored range broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moenmitz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Our 95 colored broilers (12 days old) from JM Hatchery just started double bunking with 12 turkey poults three days ago-I have read about the risks of blackhead, but since alot of people on here seem to keep turkeys with chickens without a problem, and I lack the space to make it doable otherwise, I am chancing it.

I ran out of chick starter and so started just feeding everyone turkey starter on Monday since I cant get to the mill before Friday. Then I thought I remembered someone saying to give regular broilers turkey starter anyway, as it is helpful to their legs, so I was thinking of just keeping them on it since they are all living together-would certainly make things less complicated anyway. Since the Rangers don't typically have the leg issues, I know it isn't necessary, but what I am wondering is if there is any harm in giving them turkey starter the whole time?

That said, the broilers are doing very well- they have quadrupled in size already, and are much meatier feeling than the dual purpose chicks were. They are more than twice the size of the week old Bourbon Red poults. Nice little birds, very friendly, and very, very quick. They make a dash for the door every time we come in and we have to be very careful to not let anyone out, or shut them in the door, or step on them!

2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    you can feed them that. you'll get bigger birds because of the increased protein. people around my area feed their broilers turkey show chow and get HUGE birds by 10 weeks. most people don't feed them turkey feed because of the cost.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We recommend feeding 1 lb of Homestead Turkey Starter per bird, then finish the broilers on Homestead Fast Grow. The higher protein in the Turkey Starter provides a foundation for muscle growth.

Jim

4. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Good, I thought it was something like that. Jim, what would be the equivalent of "Fast Grow"? I am feeding organic turkey starter that I buy direct from Blue Stem Organics. Is it similar to a finisher or a grower?

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

6. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks! Looks like it is very similar to the Blue Stem Grower feed. We are trying the organic thing this year, but it may not prove to be cost effective in our area. Aside from selling them, I prefer to have as natural a feed as possible in what I am feeding my family, so if we abandon the organic, the Homestead products look like a good choice to me. I appreciate you letting me know about them.

7. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    Unless I find a good deal on regular broiler food I feed mine turkey starter. For some reason it is cheaper at one of the feed stores I go to .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by