Question About Feeding Grit

sixshooter60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Stuart Oklahoma
Ok here i am again with another question. I have heard talk on here about feeding grit to quail . do you start them with grit in the brooder or wait till older and do you feed it free choice or mix it with their gbs. sorry to ask so many questions just want to do it right ...thanks

You can start them on grit at any time, however BGS does not require grit in the gizzard to digest it. Grit is needed for food that is not water soluble, for things like seeds, nuts, tough greens and things of this nature.

However you can get them started as early as the brooder as it is not going to hurt them. It is entirely up to you on how you serve it, either on the side or in the food.
smile.png

Quote:
X3 !

Sixshooter...
Never worry about too many questions! There is no such thing! It's good you want to make sure your doing the right things for your birds. Just remember , everyone here had to start somewhere and probably had the same questions.
wink.png
I am very confident in my knowledge of raising birds... but I read threads like this just in case there's something I'm missing and want the best for my birds.

I was thinking along the same lines as twocrows last night, but with all the baking... just couldn't find any way to word it!
gig.gif
now...
I'm off to finish a few more things..

Have a great day everyone!!!

If you are feeding your chicks a good quality GBS, then that is all you need until their next stage of development; possibly the only feed they need their entire life....depending on the species. Any good quality GBS has grit cooked into the crumbles. Adding to much of anything can dilute the feed, and cause slow development, even death.

With respect to the other posters, who can probably mix up a good GBS from scratch! There is nothing wrong with feeding only GBS to most/all species of quail until their next stage of development. That is the best advice I can give to anyone new to raising quail.

Quote:
Next stage being the skillet stage?

I was thinking more like the breeding/egg laying stage, but that works. It's all what you want out of your birds
big_smile.png

Thank you all for the input .this is the best place in the world to learn and i learn more everyday im here i know quailady said she puts osytershell dust in their feed and i did try that but i cant figure out how to get just the dust and not the shells..lol...guess there is an art to it....

If she is using just the dust then she either has it all ground down to just dust, or maybe she sifts it.

You could try using just a simple wire kitchen sifter.. You know the kind that look like window screen.

Back
Top Bottom