Question about Feeding Pigeons

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I am new to pigeons and right now am feeding my two Baldhead Show Rollers a mixture of game bird grower feed (23% protein) and wild bird seed (8% protein). If the pigeons eat half of each type of feed, the average protein level would be 15.5%. I think they are eating more of the bird seed than the grower pellets.

My question is, does this seem like an adequate diet? Has anybody had success feeding pigeons using seed or chicken/gamebird pellets instead of special formulated pigeon feed?

Sorry I have no experience but I feed mine a pigeon mix which has peas and quite a few different types of seeds. The old mix I fed them had these white seeds in them, they went insane for them. I've fed them scratch mix once as a ran out of pigeon food, they didn't eat the pellets. They still manage to get some scratch mix when I feed the ducks.

I am new to pigeons and right now am feeding my two Baldhead Show Rollers a mixture of game bird grower feed (23% protein) and wild bird seed (8% protein). If the pigeons eat half of each type of feed, the average protein level would be 15.5%. I think they are eating more of the bird seed than the grower pellets.

My question is, does this seem like an adequate diet? Has anybody had success feeding pigeons using seed or chicken/gamebird pellets instead of special formulated pigeon feed?

I would not feed a protein content like that, even if you mix it, as pigeons tend to pick at their food and you don't have enough control over what they are eating. I think layer pellets (usually a 14-16% protein content) are better suited for pigeons if you are going to feed any kind of chicken pellet, but even with that I'd be somewhat concerned about excess calcium (pigeons need calcium sometimes, but it is better when they can choose when to eat it when they need it, such as by using a side dish filled with crushed oyster shells, rather than their calcium source being constantly in their daily feed). I have, however, fed my pigeons layer pellets for periods of time, and they seemed to do ok on them, but I will note that they really did not like eating it, which leads me to believe that they are not the perfect diet for them, as pigeons are a nack for knowing EXACTLY what nutrition they need and eat accordingly (rather than just stupidly eating whatever they can). I personally think pigeons do better with grains and grit, rather than pellets and no grit. That way they can browse and select their nutrition based on their own needs, which varies by season, temperature, breeding, molt, etc.

Ideally, you should feed your pigeons a pigeon specific seed/grain mix, which is generally a mix of a few different types of peas (maple, vetch), some corn (whole, never cracked) and milo/sorghum, millet.

Below is a link to an article that I think may help you out:
http://mumtazticloft.com/PigeonBasicNeeds.asp

Back
Top Bottom