question about fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom wewantchicks!, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    we wanted to fence our yard to keep the dog in,we decided to use field fence because its so much cheaper than chainlink. i love my dog ,but cant afford that much just to keep her in. anyway i was wondering how high would it have to be to also keep the chickens in. that way they could also have the entire yard to run around in and stop bothering the neighbors. they have decided everytime i let them out to freerange to head straight to her house and im sure its just a matter of time before that gets old lol.
    also i have had problems with them before going under fence,so will they be able to push under that if done corectly

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I think if you use a heavy gauge field fence the chickens won't be able to get under it,...not unless your dog tries to dig out. I would go with 4 foot tall fence or higher if your chickens are flyers or your dog is a jumper. You could clip the chickens wings to keep them from flying over the fence. I put my dogs in a kennel, it was much cheaper than building fence($200 at Southern States). I found a trick about the chickens too,...if you throw out some scratch on the ground and/or put their waterer in your yard close by, they won't wonder as much. Works for me!

3. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    my dog is not a digger or jumper,its the dang chickens that are excape artist lol. but i dont think much will keep them from the neighbors,she has about a million bird feeders out. the deer spill them every night so my girls go over and clean up the mess lol.she has been really nice about it but im sure that she wont want them coming over and tearing up any new flowers she puts out. as far as the kennel,well i would just do a runner setup for the dog,but i also have kids. and even though we have almost 2 acres the property is in back,road in front.plus im lazy and just want to open the door and let the dog out,not have to drag her into a kennel lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by