question about fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ninny, May 18, 2010.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I free range my birds but they keep going in the neighbors corn fields. Its not a huge deal when its only 5 birds but when i let the babys out it will be 25. Not thinking the neighbor will be too happy about that. I need to keep them out of the garden too. My coop is 25x25. I need a run. It only needs to hold the chickens in. I'm going to move them into a bigger building in a couple years so i dont want to spend a lot on this fence. How high does it need to be? I also would like it to be big enough for at least seventy five birds. We are getting more birds next spring. They will get to free range a couple hours each day when i can watch them.

Thanks!

2. Stan-Lee

Stan-Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Put up electric fenving ~4-6 inches above the ground. If they are not too crowded it will work. Let me know how it works out.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    OOPS Double posted

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How high does it need to be?

Big heavy breeds will stay inside a 4 ft fence.
    Other breeds would require at least 6 ft.

If you keep them happy, they won't try to cross anyway.

Also, I doubt the neighbors would mind their being in a corn field as long as the plants are too big for the birds to eat.
    They would be eating bugs and weed seeds, and helping to fertilize.
    I'd ask the neighbor if it's OK for them to go . He may surprise you​

5. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:I can't see that working at all.

I only have 14 birds right now, and they walk through a 6 strand 8000 volt fence to eat in the pasture.
    They have access to at least 6 acres without going through any fences

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're only worred about keeping the chickens in, I would go with deer netting. I used it around my 45 x 90 garden this year, and no chicken has ventured inside, much to their disappointment, as it used to be their favorite scratching about place. You get a 100 ft. roll for around $15. I cut mine in half to get more bang for my buck (it's 7ft. tall). Could a chicken fly over 3 1/2 feet??? Sure! But they haven't tried once, I think because it's almost invisible to them (my dogs have run into it a few time because it's so low profile). We used a combo of old wooden fence posts and green metal posts around our garden, about every 15 feet or so. I did place landscape staples every two yards or so along the bottom to make sure it didn't lift up...

7. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by