question about fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LRV555, Mar 17, 2013.

1. LRV555

LRV555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    We have our chicken seperated now and I have people asking about getting eggs in about two /three weeks once they have just been with their specific rooster for that length of time.

My question is what is an average price for fertile eggs people want to buy for hatching?
    We will have silver laced wyndottes
    Black Giants
    RIR.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Linda

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have bought fertile eggs for hatching from my vet, but she charges the same price as if I was to eat them.

3. 12321

12321 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    It depends on the quality of your laying stock, how sure you are about the fertility of the eggs, and if you are spending time and money to ship the eggs or just selling local. If you aren't going to try hatching them yourself first, I'd let the first ones go pretty cheap if the people you sell them to will give you updates on the hatching.
    We just candled our first batch of our own tonight on day 7. I was surprised we only had 60% fertility on our black sex links. We had one rooster in with 5 hens for 4 days before we started collecting the eggs. Maybe a couple of the hens aren't very attractive. I was pretty sure the 6 eggs we broke open from days 3 and 4 were fertile. Guess I wasn't critical enough.
    I'm fairly new to this and our birds are hatchery stock so we won't be charging much more than regular egg prices - I want to hatch them out first to make sure they have all their fingers and toes.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    sometimes a roo will have favored hens, those are the ones he doesn't have to chase... HAHA!

5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

My roos favored hen is the one that was awfully interested every time the other roo I had in an adjacent coop crowed. He'd crow, she'd go running and there old grandpa silkie would go running after. ;)

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by