Question about finches, and budgies (parakeets),

First To Hatch

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
New York
Well cortunix are cool and all, chickens are too I'd totally have chickens if it wasn't illegal, and cortunix can be a bit tough in winter but I'll prolly still get a couple more in spring. These house birds sound more entertaining and easier to care for, but I'm not sure what to get they all seem really cool so if you want to sell me what to get or what you like or post pictures of your birds that would be awesome.

Reasons why I want certain species:

1. Zebra Finches - Small birds, easy to breed them (which is something I want to do), not too loud, and don't sound very difficult to take care of.

2. Budgies - They can talk, they seem docile, and easy to train, I think their breeding is easy.

The thing about the budgies is tho that if I'm buying from a pet store I don't think I can count on them to be trainable soI'd probably have to wait for their young right?

What I'd really want is two pairs of zebra finches, and a well trained budgie. Also what are the prices of zebra finches and budgies at the pet stores?

I don't know about your area, but here in Southern California, zebra finches go for around $16 each at my local small pet store, and more like $23 at the big ones like Petco.

A couple words of advice: finches are great little birds, but they will not interact with you. They pretty much rely on you for food, water, a clean environment and that's it -- they never get over being skittish, they don't respond to you much at all.
sad.png

If you do get some, be sure you DO NOT put them in a cage with a parakeet/budgie or any other hookbill bird. The hookbill will kill the finches and it will be a bloody mess.

I say if you want a good pet bird, get a budgie by itself. You can train them and they will be a real pet for you.
big_smile.png

Oh, I forgot to recommend -- if you want a more trainable budgie (or a lovebird or parrotlet, which would be similar), get one that is handfed from a breeder. They are much more imprinted on humans from infancy. They cost more, but it would be worth it.

If you just want finches for breeding, you will need additional cages, etc. for nesting pairs to raise their young away from the rest of the flock. If you get some tossed out of the nest, they are difficult to hand feed. Finchworld.com is a good internet site for info.

cockateils are great too! They are just a bit bigger than budgies and they can do the same things! The cockateil i have was from pet supplies plus. It was hand raised and is almost too friendly! The only bad thing is that it cost me $69.99 ...

I really wanted to get a pair of zebra finches for breeding but I cant changed my mind now...

Budgies can talk ,but you must have only one bird in the house, only males talk.

Budgies and cockatiel would be best for small house birds. Both can be handled.
Budgies should be gotten when 5 weeks old.
Raised many, best way to tell sex and age on a budgie. If the beak has a small amount of black they are under 6 weeks old, if they have barring on the forehead feathers. under 5months old.

The cere(area above beak) will be pink in young males, white with blue tint females. The color change when they are 5 months old. Dark blue in males, white or tan in females. Few colors this is not true,like albino and lutino.

Breeding budgie best to have 3 pair or more.

question, what's tough about coturnixs in the winter? You can keep them outside ya know lol! So if the problem was that you thought you'd have to bring them in, nope you do not have to. Mostpeople keep them outdoors. I only have a few inside, all the rest of my 30+ some are outside and have been since october 08. Havent had one death...
smile.png

Being a finch fan myself they are great zebras will breed any where they are easy I have 3 darling little black cheek splits that are being weaned right now so sweet all of my zebras have had no problem in an aviary. This is another place where button quail heaven would be a great help if you want to put some in the parrot family bourkes are gorgeous and live well with finches. I am wait for button quail heavens bourkes to bless her with babies so I can get one. Waiting waiting waiting LOL
Then you can put little buttons on the bottom of the aviary and you will have a nice mix.

Miss Betsy - read alot bout whats needed for breeding zebra finches, and I didn't realy want one pet bird to play around with, I'd get bored with one lol, I want to breed some like my cousin does. Thanks for the pricings too.

deerman - thanks for the info didn't know that

citalk2much - thanks for the info

mahsmaj - cockatiels dont really catch my attention

monarc23 - i have cortunix, and they are outside whats tough is having to break their ice everyday because it gets frozen, and going outside in the cold, im not complaining im going to keep them and add more to them but i would like some indoor birds aswell

Budgies are great! Get them young and theyre very trainable. I have one from a local breeder and one from a Petco. Both were young, wild, and untrained when I got them and are now very loveable and trained to come when called, perch on my finger, etc. I think budgies are perhaps the easiest birds to tame down. My male budgie, Luigi, talks, whistles, imitates sounds and even fetches his dingly ball for seeds! I initally got the my female budgie hoping the two would form a pair, but they do not get along. If you want to breed, you might have better luck with an already bonded pair.

I would recomend getting one from a good breeder though. I have friends who have had very bad luck with big pet stores. Sometimes they are already finger trained, sometimes they are not. It seems to me like most large pet store chains don't take very good care of their birds and at least at my local petsmart the staff doesnt know a thing about birds.
Also most petsmart/petco birds run 19-25 dollars, versus 7-12 from a breeder (at least thats what they go for around here).

Mary

Quote:
ah ha okay lol! I getcha, yeah that can be a pain in the rear I admit but it's not too bad
smile.png
I reccomend a single parakeet if you're looking for a buddy, males are the best
smile.png
That or a hand reared conure
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom