Question about First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrayRider, Oct 3, 2011.

1. GrayRider

GrayRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Florida
    Found my first egg today. Don't know which hen, I have 3 that are 20 weeks old and 6 that are 16 weeks old. All are Production Red hens. The egg is fairly small for what I expected out of this breed but otherwise normal. Just wondering if this is typical for a first egg, especially if it was one of the younger hens.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yes, that is fairly typical. Pullet eggs can be small, but still tasty. It takes them a while to work up to standard size. That being said, sometimes the new layers will also lay large double yolk eggs. There are all kinds of possible egg oddities as they are working things out [​IMG]

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi! Congratulations on your first egg! Our chickens have recently started laying and that was the norm for all of ours. We have two Rhode Island Reds and two Golden Comets that started laying at about 19-20 weeks. It's been just the last few (3-5) days that their eggs have been a normal size. Today I had an egg that I would consider more on the large size and it fit nicely in the carton.

Stacie [​IMG]

4. GrayRider

GrayRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks for the responses.
    Glad to hear this is normal. I can't wait to get more, it's like Christmas morning checking for presents under the tree. [​IMG]

5. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:Congrats on your first egg! If you are excited now, wait until you get one from everybody on the same day! You will feel like you won the lotto!

6. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    So true!! Only someone who has spent so much $$ buying food and supplies, not to mention all the time getting chickens to this point, can understand how exciting it is to FINALLY pull a malt-ball sized egg out of a nest!! LOL

7. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    first eggs are always small. and it would be from the 3 older hens.

8. kneit099

kneit099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    Was soo excited when my husband texted me a picture of the "goods" today! Our first eggs, there were 11 BUT I don't know which of the girls are laying and when they started because they aren't laying in their nest boxes [​IMG]

Any thoughts welcome :)

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:who knows who layed what egg...

10. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I still am not entirely sure who is laying what eggs. We found a rather large shell-less egg behind the coop today and I have no idea who laid it. Most of the girls are laying in the nest boxes. I've thought of putting a webcam out there! [​IMG] Yesterday I took note of which chickens were in nest boxes and then I knew which eggs went to who. That's the first time I've been able to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by