question about flavored yogurts

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by frog522, Nov 12, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    what's the reason why it's not advised to feed flavored yogurts to chickens?

take strawberry yogurt for example, they eat fresh strawberries that have sugar in them, what's the different with strawberry flavored yogurt?

the only thing i've noticed is that they dip their beaks and sometimes face into the yogurt and then i imagine it's sticky and attracts dirt that sticks for a few days.

i'm going to feed then plain yogurt exclusively (no flavored) the next time i get to the supermarket, i just wanted to know why it's an absolute no-no to feed them any sort of flavored yogurt. thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    fresh strawberries don't have sugar added, just fructose naturally occuring in the fruit. Flavored yogurts have added sugar.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:And/or artificial sweeteners. I personally don't think artificial sweeteners are good for humans, let alone chickens.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    The regular ones with some suger likely would be no harm. They just make simple sugar out of stuff like corn in the digestive system anyway.

But as with anything too much sugar would be bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by