question about food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ourfamily, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Ourfamily

Ourfamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    What food should chicks and chickens stay away from that can make them sick or cause death?

2. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I'm just new to all of this, but cedar is poisonous to them. It's not exactly food, but you shouldn't have any in their brooders or coops.

I'll be interested to see the answers on this one too!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. Ourfamily

Ourfamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up about the cedar

4. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I just found a link saying that Avocadoes (mainly the pit and peel), Chocolate, Citrus, Green Potato Skins, Dry Beans, and Junk Food
    Hey- if you don’t eat junk food, then you won’t have any leftovers… So you won’t even have to worry about this one, right? [​IMG] Highly processed food isn’t good for you, and it’s not good for your hens either.. Also, of course, anything that is moldy or rotten. I heard somebody say they don't feed them any raw meat either.

Here's a post I just found on here!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/530050/a-list-of-food-scraps-chicks-shouldnt-eat

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  5. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Chickens should noy be fed: avacado skins or pits, candy, chocolate, sugar, dried beans, moldy food, or raw green potato peels (toxicity). Other foods that CAN be toxic in large amounts are: corn cockle seeds, cabbage, turnips, broccoli, mustard roots & seeds, black locust bark seeds & leaves. This info was garnered from Poultry & Chicken magazines.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by