Question about free feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3sacrowd, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi,

Our chicks are 3 weeks and 2 weeks old. They constantly have access to food and water. I'm wondering if I should be taking the food out at night or I should leave it in the brooder so they can eat whenever they would like.

We have six healthy and happy (I'm guessing) little chicks: a polish, barred rock, Amerucauna, Buckeye, French Copper Black Maran, and a Buff Orpington.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kandi

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At three weeks, the chicks eat whenever they get the urge. I allow free access to fresh water and feed 24/7 to brooder chicks.

Once they are in the coop, they'll be fed twice a day, making rounds for chores. No feed laying out at night for rodent control.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Leave it in to allow them free choice. Good luck and [​IMG]

4. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks so much! We wanted to make sure we weren't overfeeding them. It seems like all they do is eat, sleep, poop, cheep... in no particular order. [​IMG]

This is such a great site and it's fabulous to post a question and immediately get some feed back (no pun intended) that is helpful and sincere.

Thanks!

Kandi

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    [​IMG]
    Glad to have you! And that is what we are here for. We chicks gotta stick together & help each other out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by