1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about free-ranging and roads

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattycake, Jun 20, 2007.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    In your experience, do chickens naturally avoid a fairly busy road? We have a big pasture that abuts a road that gets some commuter traffic, and no fence yet. If I let the chicks free range in the pasture, will I have to worry about them wandering into the road? Or will they be too nervous?

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    No. They seem to go to the roads, highways, around here looking for wheat that has fallen off the trucks.
    They get hit, too, like any other animal that gets on the road.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

They will be drawn to the road for the gravel and such on the side. Last summer, my InLaws came out for a cookout. My FIL told me " we could have had chicken, as he hit one on the way here" UGH! He said it was totally unavoidable. It came out of no where. Hope you can get a fence up soon!

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Yipes! I guess I'll keep them in tractors until we can swing a fence. They seem so scared of loud noises, but I guess like anything they get used to it.

BTW, the board is so great. I could never have gotten such a good and knowledgeable start in chicken raising without all of you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by