Question about Freedom Rangers? (and yes, I searched first)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by brandislee, May 14, 2011.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    My current batch of CX is about to finish up in the next few weeks (and it will be my first time processing chickens... I get all nauseous just thinking about it). I want to do another round of meaties in the late summer/fall, and was thinking about freedom rangers. But I don't free range my chickens- my meaties are in a 6x11 tractor that I move every day. I have no plan to change this. Would it be stupid to put freedom rangers in a tractor? Are their space requirements different than CX because they're more active? Is the taste the same as CX or better (yes, I've found lots of people saying they taste good, but I'm more looking for a comparison, like more flavor, better texture, better stock than CX)? I would really like a meatie with good texture and good for making stock, but I don't have the space to raise many if they need more space than CX.

Thanks!

2. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Anyone? Or has this topic been done to death? I swear I searched all the threads and looked at the freedom ranger website, but no one talks about their space requirements.

3. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I think Rangers would do as well in a tractor as any layer or DP breed. I started mine out in a tractor (25 in a 4' x 8') and ended up using it as a night shelter when we fenced in an area for ranging. I'm not sure how many square feet they'd need to grow out though. They might want to move around more than CX.

I have never eaten a pastured CX, but compared to supermarket chickens, in my opinion the FR meat is firmer and more flavorful--it reminds me of chickens in the 1950s and 60s when I grew up. The leg/thigh section is larger, and the breast is a different shape (longer and thinner). The FR stock is much richer than stock from supermarket chickens. My Rangers have not been as fork-tender as supermarket chicken though.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    a tractor would be fine for FR if you were moving it on a regular basis, just as you .
    would for CX.
    I think it's great that you tried a batch of CX and are now going to try a batch of FR raised under the same conditions (that are convenient to you) please take note of the differences and share them with us.

5. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks! Since I did 10 CX in a tractor that could technically hold 20 or more, maybe I'll try 10 FR in it and compare. It won't be until fall, though, as it's (hopefully, anyway) just about to be too hot for meaties here. Or, by then, perhaps I'll have worked up the courage to free range my birds on my property (currently working on aclimating my dog to them). We'll see!

6. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

I have FRs in the brooder right now. They will be going into a tractor, when they come out.

7. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I tractored a batch of FR last year and they did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by