1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about future broody hens....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eleanore, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Eleanore

Eleanore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    This question may have already been asked, however as I am brand new here, I am wondering if anyone has used a rabbit cage for a broody hen? I have several 24"x24"x36" nice solid cages with a droppings tray underneath, and am thinking of keeping two of them for any hens that may go broody next year from my bantams. Just looking for advise, would these be a good broody coop for my mama's??

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I have not used that particular type of cage but have cages broodies so predators wouldn't get to them.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think it depends on the size of your cage and if your broody is bantam or large fowl. For a bantam hen, I think it would work, but you want to ensure she is well protected while in there and that the babies can't slip through the wire. Also, can it be set up that she is not just on the wire? A broody will typically stop brooding when placed on wire, so she will need a solid surface for her 'nest'.

I have used a small 4x4 pen for a broody hen and she did really well with it. We attached a ramp and when the babies were past a week old, we would open it so she could bring them out to forage.

4. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i think it will work fine just cover it with a sheet and plastic to keep the weather off put her a cardboard bow or anything in there as a nesting box she will be fine:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by