1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about getting new chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolJ, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    We got our chicken coop today - and next week I will get my pullets. Is it okay to get them from two different farms. I would get 3 or 4 from one farm that are 4 months old - and 3 or 4 from another farm that are 3 months old. Would that combination work with the different ages and different farms in one coop. THANKS!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yes...but... You may want to house them separately for a few weeks to watch for diseases and parasites before combining them into one flock.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi! [​IMG]
    Chickens, as a general rule, do not integrate well. They are very social critters, and combining chickens from different farms, especially if they are already that old, I would expect to see some fighting amongst them as they establish the pecking order. Also, it is a little dangerous from a biosecurity standpoint to combine flocks. If one group is sick and the other is not, you are asking for trouble. If you go ahead with your plan, you will need to keep them seperated for at least thirty days to observe them for signs of illness, then slowly integrate them as one flock. You would be much better off starting with chicks and letting them grow up together than trying to combine them.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to your new addiction!!!

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks. Each farm has a breeds that the other doesn't have - and I want them all! However, I don't have room to house them separately for a few weeks. So I think I'll have to pick one farm and get them all from that one - and not get so many different breeds. One farm has Araucanas, New Hampshire Reds and Welsummers - and this farm is an established, recognized organic farm. The other farm has Columbian Wyandotte, Dominques and Araucanas - but it is an individual with no guarantees about the chickens' health. So I think my choice is clear.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and suggestions!

5. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Quote:What they said...Ditto. ^

Once you have gotten them past the quarantine period, put them into pens where they can see each other and talk, but not connect for at least 2 weeks. Then let them meet outside, in the run first. There will be some pecking order issues, but as long as they aren't causing each other actual harm, let them work it out.

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:My thoughts exactly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by