Question about getting shipped hatching eggs

I like to order eggs from Texas because they go straight to Des Moines and then to me.
I always have horrible hatch rates if they go through Kansas City, I don't know if they are extra hard on them or if it's because it's just one more stop.
You can have an idea of how many stops if you compare it to traveling by airplane.

There are so many factors with shipped eggs. Outside temperature plays a big factor. As does distance (I keep it under 600 miles). Handling by carrier: roughness, X-ray, vibrations. Health, age parent birds, egg collection practices, hen:rooster ratio of the originating flock, types of chickens (small eggs do transport better). Packing methods and labeling. Then you add in the variables on your end: incubator type, incubating experience, temperature calibration, humidity, egg weighing, turning techniques, incubating upright or on sides, lockdown on side or upright, when and how to assist, hatch analysis and trouble shooting (after you have final numbers).

I could probably come up with a dozen more varieties if I had more time. Each factor tips you slightly towards success or failure. Only a few, like high temperature before or during incubation, means certain doom. I’ve purchased hundreds of shipped eggs. I’m consistently around 60% hatch rate for shipped eggs. My highest was 88%. Lowest was 8% (1 out of 12). I also hatch my own and local eggs. Continuing to dial in and refine my incubation techniques. I enjoy the gamble and thrill of shipped eggs. I’ll probably always do a hatch or two a year with them. But I’ve learned this: if you want or need chicks BUY CHICKS! For some people shipped eggs are the only way to secure the genetics or breeds they want. Hawaii is a perfect example. However, for most everyone else shipped eggs are not a good way to establish starter flocks unless you’re talking dozens of eggs across several hatches (to spread out the negative variables).

I agree, so many factors. I currently have eggs from Florida developing nicely in my incubator here in Hawaii. They were shipped express and only 2 1/2 days on the way. I’ve had eggs from across the island that didn’t fare as well. It’s a crapshoot every time!😊

Back
Top Bottom