Question about giving antibiotics to my pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kgardiner, Dec 16, 2011.

1. kgardiner

kgardiner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    North Port, FL
    I've been trying to get BeBe over a sour crop. I was massaging the excess out until I thought I let her swallow some. I brought her to the vet who emptied her crop and administered some antibiotics. She told me to limit her food and acv water and keep giving her the anitbiotics. She definitely seems better but this morning her crop was inflated alittle.. Not nearly like it has been before we've been trying to get her to recover. My question is - does her crop need to be emptied in the morning before I give her her meds or no? If it is getting better should I just give her the meds and continue with her limited amounts of baby food, applesauce and yogurt (mixed together) and her acv water? I'm obviously new to treating sick chickens and I'm trying to make sure I do whats best for her.. Thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'd be asking these questions of the vet who treated her.

Good luck with her.

3. kgardiner

kgardiner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    North Port, FL
    Yea, I actually did call them.. Seems as long as she taking the antibiotics ok and her crop is smaller than it has been, than this should be good. She's pretty active and her poop sure did stink this morning! There just seems to be alot of people here who are very intelligent when it comes to chicken specific questions.. I was just trying to make sure I'm doing right by Bebe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by