Question about giving hen baby aspirin / Meloxidyl

Amethyst288

Songster
May 18, 2021
One of our hens was limping so I took her to the vet. It wasn't bumblefoot. She has one crooked claw that she sometimes trips on.
The vet gave Meloxidyl (1.5mg Oral Suspension) and advised that we don't eat the eggs for two months. We only gave it to her for about two days and she was already better, so we have to wait two months before eating the eggs again.
If I need to help a hen that is limping (that isn't bumblefoot) in the future, I don't really want to give Meloxidyl again.
Has anyone used half a baby aspirin instead for leg injuries? Can you continue to eat the eggs? Thanks

Last edited:
Aspirin with the correct dosage as a pain relief can be used, but only for a short period of time (2-3 days), because any more can be toxic. You shouldn't use it on hens with open wounds though, as it can also act as a blood thinner. You'd have to find the correct dosage though for your bird's weight before you administered it. If she's a bantam I'd do 20 mg, and 30-40 for a medium sized hen. Less is always safer. Even then I'd still wait a few days after the final dose to eat the eggs, in case any residue of the medicine remains.

Aspirin with the correct dosage as a pain relief can be used, but only for a short period of time (2-3 days), because any more can be toxic. You shouldn't use it on hens with open wounds though, as it can also act as a blood thinner. You'd have to find the correct dosage though for your bird's weight before you administered it. If she's a bantam I'd do 20 mg, and 30-40 for a medium sized hen. Less is always safer. Even then I'd still wait a few days after the final dose to eat the eggs, in case any residue of the medicine remains.
Thank you, FluffyButtBabies! This information is so helpful. :thumbsup

I think the vet just made up that egg withdrawal time. Meloxidyl or meloxicam is probably a lot better to give for inflammation than aspirin, which can cause intestinal bleeding when used for more than 3 days. Hardly any medications are okay to give chickens because of trace amounts passed in meat or hatching eggs. Vets tend to tell you that you can never eat the eggs again, because not a lot of studies are even done on most drugs and chickens.

In this article, it says that meloxicam is only found in eggs for up to 8 days. They say waiting 2 weeks is okay:
https://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_compmedpubs/157/

One of our hens was limping so I took her to the vet. It wasn't bumblefoot. She has one crooked claw that she sometimes trips on.
The vet gave Meloxidyl (1.5mg Oral Suspension) and advised that we don't eat the eggs for two months. We only gave it to her for about two days and she was already better, so we have to wait two months before eating the eggs again.
If I need to help a hen that is limping (that isn't bumblefoot) in the future, I don't really want to give Meloxidyl again.
Has anyone used half a baby aspirin instead for leg injuries? Can you continue to eat the eggs? Thanks
I can suggest you a natural anti-inflammatory I used it personally and my friend whose hen had avain arthritis and it's pretty helpful

• Moringa (Drumstick Extract)

This is a natural Anti-inflammatory for chickens and there's no side effects of it

I think the vet just made up that egg withdrawal time. Meloxidyl or meloxicam is probably a lot better to give for inflammation than aspirin, which can cause intestinal bleeding when used for more than 3 days. Hardly any medications are okay to give chickens because of trace amounts passed in meat or hatching eggs. Vets tend to tell you that you can never eat the eggs again, because not a lot of studies are even done on most drugs and chickens.

In this article, it says that meloxicam is only found in eggs for up to 8 days. They say waiting 2 weeks is okay:
https://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_compmedpubs/157/
Thank you, Eggcessive! Thank you for the information about there not being a lot of studies done on most drugs and chickens. Wow, as you said - just two weeks of withdrawal time should be ok to eat the eggs again.
I can suggest you a natural anti-inflammatory I used it personally and my friend whose hen had avain arthritis and it's pretty helpful

• Moringa (Drumstick Extract)

This is a natural Anti-inflammatory for chickens and there's no side effects of it
Thank you, Saaniya! Moringa extract, the anti-inflammatory for chickens sounds interesting! Will look it up and see who sells it.

So it is safe to give Meloxidyl to chicken? My vet gave it to my hen and her behavior changed as if she froze and just drinking a lot of water and no food. I am kinda concerned

So it is safe to give Meloxidyl to chicken? My vet gave it to my hen and her behavior changed as if she froze and just drinking a lot of water and no food. I am kinda concerned
What dosage did the vet prescribe? Why was it prescribed? Has the chick become worse, or do you think it is the medication? If you have concerns, you could stop the medicine temporarily, to see if it helps.

What dosage did the vet prescribe? Why was it prescribed? Has the chick become worse, or do you think it is the medication? If you have concerns, you could stop the medicine temporarily, to see if it helps.
She gave her 1.5 in syringe. Thank god she looks fine this morning and eating. It must of been medication. I brought her to vet bc I was concerned about her crop which she told me it’s fine. There was something like corn in her crop she felt but nothing to be concerned she said. Then I thought she was egg bound bc she is still not givining me eggs and then her molting is alittle bit rough so that’s why she gave her. I don’t even know for what reason she gave her this but she was VERY different chicken when I brought her home.

Good to hear that she is doing better this am. Do you have a picture of her? Is she molting? If she is molting, that would be the reason that she is not laying eggs. How old is she? What do her poops look like? What does her crop feel like this morning—empty and flat, full, firm, soft and puffy?

Back
Top Bottom