Question about goat feed and blocks?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalcrazy31, Sep 10, 2009.

1. animalcrazy31

animalcrazy31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    for people that feed the sweet feed to there babies do you feed it twice a day or just once? There on a southern states sweet feed its made by southern states its called kid and goat sweet feed.and i useally leave a bowel of hay down all day for them. Right know theres two soon to be fixed bucks and one thats not fixed. They also have a large amount of grass and stuff in there pen there eating down. Also i got something called a billy block and a big red mineral block. Are these the only one's i need for them? Is this feed ok for them or should i get another one? They were on Purnia sweet feed but but i couldnt find it around here.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Most people on the forum like the pelleted feed but I also feed the sweet feed for goats. Everyone that I have talked to in my area uses the sweet feed and prefers it. My goats were already getting it so I continued it. As long as it has the 2 to 1 ratio for calcium/jphosphorous mix, you should be fine. Also if it has ammonium chloride in it (will be listed in the ingredients), that is even better. My goats were on Purina but I am switching them to Kalmbach 16% texturized goat feed because it is close and is comparable to Purina.

If you could get loose goat mineral, that would be better. You can buy it online if you can't find it locally. Check Caprine Supply and Hoegger Supply. Once again the calcium to phosphorous ratio needs to be 2 to 1.

I feed my goats 1/2 cup twice a day of the feed. Otherwise they have hay and pasture. I also give them black oil sunflower seeds. And they should have free choice baking soda.

3. animalcrazy31

animalcrazy31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    the calcium says min 0.75% max is 1.25% and the phosphorus says min 0.40%. Is this ok?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes, it should be ok. Mine is the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by