Question about goat horns

rapsinfamily

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
We recently have gotten some goats that are horned and we have some smaller goats with way smaller horns. In researching, I've seen that some people oppose removing their horns now (they are 6-7 months old) because it's very painful for them. During the day the butt eachother while they are out pasturing but, at night they are put into an enclosed pen together. We have the smaller ones seperated from the bigger ones right now because we are afraid they are going to get hurt by their horns. Does anyone have experience with this? We just got the smaller ones, so their the new pair and not quite liked yet. I just want to make sure that they will all be able to sleep together soon! Thank you for your help!!
smile.png

well..i am new to owning goats, and i only have 2 of them... but i learned my lesson on having the older goats hornes removed...i would NEVER ever do it again..ever..it really was cruel...she screamed and screamed when i had to change her bandages(i could REALLY tell it hurt her so very badly..
hit.gif
.)...it was a bad time for us all here... i would do whatever else i had to do before i ever did that again...AND..one is even growing back anyways..
barnie.gif
..so it was all for nothing...
sad.png

now, if you get it done like i did for my male goat..his was done within his first week of life..with one of those iron things..it was fine... its just the older goat de-horning that is very bad IMO..best of luck, Wendy

I have a mixed herd regarding horns...some with huge horns, some with regular horns, some disbudded, and one polled.

We have never had an injury...but you can't cram all our goats together in a small area and expect that to remain true. Someone would eventually get cornered and gored...

Your goats are too old to be disbudded. Your options are limited...but I think you will find that once the initial fighting is over there won't be much to worry about. The alpha goats will always be pushy (esp over younger goats)...and there IS the possibility of injury...but it's not highly likely.

We love our horned goats!

Leave the horns. I have three without horns and one with. They have sorted there differences out.

Are the smaller goats, dwarf or pygmies? Or just young?

I think you have a good solution for right now. Goat will be goats and they will have to figure out their own pecking order.

Right now we have 2 Nigerian Dwarfs (they are the bigger set of the two) and today we got one Pygmy/Nigerian and a full bred Pygmy. The ND are about 6-7 months old and the we're guessing that the two new ones are a couple of months younger. They are way smaller and have much smaller horns than the 2 dwarfs.

hi...me again..i just wanted to say..that i have a pygmy goat and a regular sized male alpine....so there is a big size differance....and they get along fine now..my girl (pygmy)..doent take any flack from the bigger boy....you would be surprised how those little ones can take care of themselves...but..only you know your goats..so, if you feel there is a danger.. maybe seperate them at night? when you cant keep an eye on them...until you feel better about them being together....i had to, at one point...(because my female was beating up my male when he was a baby) , i had to put a chain link dog kennel(small one) inside my barn..and thats how i seperated them at night..but now they are fine together...good luck.., Wendy

You can always band the horns on all of them. I have 5 girls that still have horns and have banded them. Its not as grusome as having them dehorned. I disbud mine when they are small but these didnt get done. Horns tear up fences and other goats. I have had some problems with the horned goats with the disbudded goats. The horned goats are more pushy than the others and run off the 1's without horns. That is why I banded the 5 I still have with horns. It does stop the butting cause it does make them sore. After about 8 to 10 weeks the horns fall off.
I have about 30 goats and only 5 have horns and soon they will be gone. Also when you get a tooth hit with a horn you will be ready to band the horns also as I had to have a tooth fixed. Little green bands are cheap. Good luck and do keep them separate till the others are older.

Chatychick: If you have goats that butt heads when they have horns, after they've been horn banded & their horns are off & healed do they act more calm? --meaning without their horns are they still interested in head butting?

Yes that is what goats do to say HI or get away from me...Mine still butt and most are hornless and they can get it going on believe me. To goats its like shaking hands or fist fights...lol...just typical goats behavior. I have 1 that was banded and now as she hit her horns while banded and it was painful so she really dont use her head anymore so maybe it can stop them sometimes.

Dehorning is a bloody, painful mess. I wouldn't do it. If you want to try the banding - that could be an option. Just watch for infection as you go along.

The real problem with horns is the interaction with people and children. And, the goats getting caught in fencing.

Headbutting is normal goat behavior. They play and sort out their order that way. There heads are build for it and there's no damage.

Like a previous poster mentioned though - make sure you have enough space for all of your goats. You don't want to put a bunch of horned goats into too small of a space.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom