Question about goats and milk.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RubberChickenLubber, Apr 9, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I may have a chance to get a pygmy goat. She's around a year old and has yet to be bred. I'm really wanting a dairy goat, and she's not a dairy breed. If I breed her, will she be milkable. (please forgive my ignorance) I don't really need a lot of milk.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I was considering them also. I can get two for free so I looked them up online to see if they would be suitable for milk. I don't have alot of room either, so that makes them attractive. I found this link, so I think I will at least try them for milk. I can't wait to get my fence done, and then they will be coming to join our hobby farm!! I think the only difficult thing would be getting used to milking them as their teats are smaller and would take some getting used to.

http://kinne.net/milkpyg.htm

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You CAN milk it, but it won't make much (prolly less than a pint per day) and also Pygmy teats are REALLY tiny, which can be hard on your hands.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Ditto this

Pygmy goats are supposed to have really rich milk though. They are also used for crossing onto Nubians to make Kinder goats-a dual purpose breed.

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I looked around and dairy goats locally are $150+. I'm sure worth it, but I don't have that much to put into buying one. So I guess the dream will have to wait a while.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Look for a cross bred doeling. They come cheaper then the pure breds. Call the local extention office and find the 4-H leader that might be raising goats. They will know of someone most likley in need of rehoming a goat due to kids loss of interest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by