Question about goats and milk.

RubberChickenLubber

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Newton, NC
I may have a chance to get a pygmy goat. She's around a year old and has yet to be bred. I'm really wanting a dairy goat, and she's not a dairy breed. If I breed her, will she be milkable. (please forgive my ignorance) I don't really need a lot of milk.

Only if you have elf hands!
My pygmy had twins during a blizzard and the one was fine. The other had trouble regulating his body temp so I brought him into the house for 3 days. I needed to milk momma so he would get colustrum.
Momma was as good as gold during milking. She just stood there untied and without food in front of her and let me milk her. But her teats were SO small that it took a long time. I could only get one finger on one side of the teat and my thumb on the other.
The baby I brought inside has been back with mom and his sister for about 3 weeks now and is doing really well.
If you want milk I would suggest a milk goat. My personal favorites are my Lamancha's. You just can't beat their personalities.
Hope this helps, Carrie

Yes you can milk Pygmys but they do have small teats ...but you can get or make a milker easily, With mine I use the maggiedan milker but would personally recommend the udderlyEZmilker it does the job with less work just a few pumps and it milks them.... go to www.avolinofarms.com and they arent as pricey as the main website is...also you can get bottles of different sizes too.

I think you will be more satisfied if you wait for a Nubian, Alpine, Oberhalsi, etc... i.e. an actual dairy goat.

I am absolutely loving having goats milk around. We drink it. The cats drink it. My neighbor is ready to graft any bummer lambs he gets to my goats. It's simply an awesome resource.

I really enjoy the 15 minutes twice a day with my wife, relaxed, not rushed. It's just time to hang out and think about nothing but milk.

From someone who just got 3 dairy goats, and very new to it, it is so wonderful to have one. There is a lady south of me who has mini dairy goats and she said that she gets a pint to a quart a day. I have a cross and get close to 3 quarts a day (from one side).

Back
Top Bottom