1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by aaronzclark, May 11, 2009.

1. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I was wondering what a full grown african pygmy goat looks like pics plz. also if a buck does not have is testes will he grow a beard and long hair, and will all bucks grow long hair if they have them or just some?

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Not all bucks have beards. I have a doe with a beard [​IMG] My Pygmy wether doesn't have really long hair. I'll post a picture when I get home.

3. aaronzclark

Yes plz post pics [​IMG]

4. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    This is Chester, he turned 1 in March. He's 14 inches tall and 25lbs. He's pretty small for a Pygmy.
    [​IMG]
    This is Chester and Daisy his partner in crime [​IMG] They always snuggle together.
    [​IMG]

5. aaronzclark

Awwe! they are cool but guessing they still not full grown

6. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    That is the cutest dang picture.

Wethers don't tend to grow massive horns and big beards like bucks will (most of the time.)

They will get little beards like does often do (most of them time!)

Nothing is set in stone of course, but you'll find these to be most often true.

As for length of hair, I think that's more genetic. My buck doesn't have very long hair, even with his big pretty beard, but I have seen bucks with long gorgeous coats.

7. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    He's been 14" and 25lbs for the last 5 months so I'm thinking he probably isn't going to get any bigger.

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I don't know how recent that pic is, but he looks alittle dwarfie to me. If he is he may not grow much more.

On another note, one of my nigi does was 15 in. at one year old and she grew up to be normal sized, she was a smallish girl, but still within normal range.

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    He is beautiful, I have just dangled a tape measure to 14 inches that is like a smallish dog, very cute, and they look wonderful with their beards.

10. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Quote:I agree. He looks exactly like my nigi. His face is wider than most pygmy faces.

My 4yo female nigi is about knee high, maybe 26inches. She's really fat, though, maybe 35-40lbs. My other ones are taller than her, near the same weight.

Last edited: May 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by