Question about "green top" coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yakmama, May 17, 2010.

1. yakmama

yakmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    The South
    I LOOOOVVEE this coop! I think I'm going to build it for my 4-5 hens (I have a strong suspicion one of them is a roo at 3 weeks old). Do you think 6x6 would be big enough? Has anyone had a coop like this? When you water the plants on top, does it leak down into the coop? Does the water "pool" and kill the plants when it rains? http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...oof-Building-Plans-up-to-4-chickens-p659.aspx

2. chickadee2

chickadee2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    It is very attractive and an interesting concept. I would give the top more depth as the "garden" would dry out so quickly as it is designed. The main problem that I see is that you are restricted to the 4 chickens. It is good to be able to add a couple when the existing ones begin to age. If the walls are sturdy enough, the roof base could be metal so there would not be run off into the coop. It is very cute! [​IMG]

3. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That's pretty cool. I certainly wouldn't pay for the plans, as it looks pretty straight forward. The plastic liner it looks like they use on the top should be sufficient to prevent leaking. I would definitely add some drainage though, and probably build it a little bigger.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. Hugerat

Hugerat Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    I wonder if you could put some wheels at one end and some handles on it to tractor it around the yard?

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Hmm, interesting so long as drainage is adequate and you don't get much snow. In my area that would be pancaked the first winter. Also, if your birds are out and it's not very high, the birds would be up there snacking. Mine would.

I have an ECO roof on my main coop, but it's slanted for drainage. I used rubber pond liner to make it water proof except for the bottom edge drain spots. No veggies though, just cactus and succulents.

6. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

That roof would weigh a ton with wet soil. Making it a tractor would be difficult unless you had a mower/tractor to pull it around the yard. And, yes, the water would pool if you had a lot of rain. It would need drainage, but that wouldn't be hard. If the manufacturer hasn't allowed for it (maybe they did) I would drill about a 2" hole on the two corners by the door, attach 2" PVC pipe to be downspouts and run those down the corner legs and into the ground. Dig a couple of postholes about 10" deep, fill with rock, and let the PVC drain into those so your run doesn't get wet and muddy.

7. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    you could keep weight down by using a lightweight potting soil in top planter. also if you make drainage on side of top box up an inch or two you can ensure whatever planted is watered by rain and not worry about drought and dead plants. I really like this idea but I been gardening for years and new to chikens. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by