Question about grit and treats.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I just built a chicken run to my coop and was wondering if I should wait for them to gather grit before I give them treats or not? If so how long should I wait?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They will pick up grit when they are scratching around in the ground. If there are small rocks and pebbles in your ground, you do not need to wait.

Have fun,

Imp

3. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    If you have small rocks and pebbles in and gravely mixture, which I use as my flooring in the run, then you don't need grit. So you can give them treats, because the grit is already provided.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    My chickens free range so Ive never bought grit, til about a week ago. I decided I needed to get some for my 9 wk old chicks, which are on the ground too. And we really have rocky soil here.
    I got a 5 lb back of granite crumbs which I thought were kinda big. It was about $6.
    Today I was at the garden center and decided I would get some sand for my babies to play in and take a dust bath. I got a 40lb bag for about $5. I poured it out and spread it around next to the fence so in case my older hens wanted to have some. I noticed the older hens were eating it like crazy!! So the sand is MUCH cheaper than the store bought grit. Lesson learned.

pam in TX

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This is a thread about processing a chicken by frugal. IT IS VERY GRAPHIC. The 26th picture in his first post shows the grit found in the gizzard. It is very interesting. Larger than you'd expect. About the size of a pencil eraser. DO NOT LOOK IF IT MAY UPSET YOU.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

This is the chick grit, I bought at the store.

[​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by