1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Question about half Polish Chicks.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tacampbell1973, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Songster 5 Years

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello...I was hoping someone could tell me,,,do the chicks start right away with the crest or a sign of it? Reason is I just lost my only Polish hen, whom I loved dearly, to a coyote two weeks ago or less... only good thing is I have 8 of her eggs hatching under another hen along with the hens own eggs, not sure if I will tell them apart right away. They will only be half as dad Roody is a Gold Laced Cochin. Am crossing fingers and wings for fluffy headed fluffy booted babies...
    I also posted this in the Breeds section but thought I might find more advice here....BTW My Angel was without a doubt the sweetest bird I have ever encountered. I would lovingly call her my "showbird" as I packed her around the yard. SHe would ask me questions that sounded like "Honky Honk?" She was a white splash I am told. I got her at an auction last year. When I got her she had long knarled toes like an old woman and hunched over. I surmised that she must have been a battery hen. I promised her iwould never put her in a cage ever again. So she enjoyed every day to the fullest digging bugs and sunbathing. I did put her up at night of course. I also banded her hair so she could see, it really helped her skittishness. I miss this bird like crazy. She was my favorite and I hope that I can make her proud by keeping her babies safe to remember her by.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above is Antgel and Roody
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: