Question about half Polish Chicks.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tacampbell1973, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello...I was hoping someone could tell me,,,do the chicks start right away with the crest or a sign of it? Reason is I just lost my only Polish hen, whom I loved dearly, to a coyote two weeks ago or less... only good thing is I have 8 of her eggs hatching under another hen along with the hens own eggs, not sure if I will tell them apart right away. They will only be half as dad Roody is a Gold Laced Cochin. Am crossing fingers and wings for fluffy headed fluffy booted babies...
    I also posted this in the Breeds section but thought I might find more advice here....BTW My Angel was without a doubt the sweetest bird I have ever encountered. I would lovingly call her my "showbird" as I packed her around the yard. SHe would ask me questions that sounded like "Honky Honk?" She was a white splash I am told. I got her at an auction last year. When I got her she had long knarled toes like an old woman and hunched over. I surmised that she must have been a battery hen. I promised her iwould never put her in a cage ever again. So she enjoyed every day to the fullest digging bugs and sunbathing. I did put her up at night of course. I also banded her hair so she could see, it really helped her skittishness. I miss this bird like crazy. She was my favorite and I hope that I can make her proud by keeping her babies safe to remember her by.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above is Antgel and Roody
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by