1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buckabucka, Feb 23, 2012.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We're about to purchase hardware cloth online.

1/4" will keep out mice and is 23 gauge.

1/2" will keep out rats and weasels, but perhaps not mice, and is 19 gauge.

Does anyone know which gauge is most effective? We have coons here. Would love to keep out mice, but does anyone know if 23 gauge is strong?

Thank you for any advice!

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    The gauge refers to the diameter of the wire in that makes up the cloth. 23 gauge is slightly smaller than 1/32 of an inch and 19 is half way between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. There is about .0240 difference of an inch which is not very much. Personally I would go with the 1/4 inch wire.

3. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thank you for the reply, duckinut! It sounds like the 1/4 inch might be easier to work with.
    We're building a mobile hoop house!

4. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

larger number = thinner wire
    but there are more of them per inch with the 1/4" vs. the 1/2"

hmmmmm...The Tao of Coop

The answer to the hardware cloth will lead to enlightenment :)

5. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I have 19ga 1/2 in on my run and have not had a break in ever, including mice. I wouldn't say one is easier to work with than the other.

There is one overlooked issue with hardware cloth that is seldom brought up.If you enjoy watching your chickens during the day, compare the visual aspect of looking through 1/4 inch as compared to 1/2 inch. Just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    ega278 likes this.
  6. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    thanks.

I had not considered the visual effect, but much of the year (winter) the hardware cloth will be covered with clear plastic (it's going on a hoop house). The 1/2" and 1/4" are the same price, which is why I started wondering which is better.

DH seems to think that because the 1/4" is thinner, it might be less likely to spring back and attack you after you unroll it. He hates working with hardware cloth so much, so I feel bad that I insist on having it, but I do believe it is the best protection.

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I painted my hardware cloth and it improved the visibility tremendously. I plan on reapplying whenever needed.
    There is special paint for galvanized metal, and maybe a special primer too - but if you are willing to reapply often you can just use exterior paint.
    There are photos on my page, you can especially see in one photo the top gray area and the bottom darker area, a big difference!

8. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I use 16 gauge 1/2" x 1" cage wire that I order in 50 foot rolls. I have never had anything in my coop or run.

9. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.

Yup, I have heard the painting works very well. In fact, I heard that on BYC. A search should bring up the threads on this subject.

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I should have been more clear as I have hardware cloth over the windows in the coop and 2x3 garden fence for the run. As where most predators that are likely to break in are nocturnal,entry into the coop is what I fear. I think it is not so much the gauge of the cloth more so the size of the diameter of the squares. The bigger they are,the creatures can get their hands and teeth on them. although 1/4 and 1/2 inch there is not a problem but any bigger you could be asking for trouble. I am 2 years in and yet to have any problem other than a few hawks hanging around but not even endured an attack yet.

Bayman,love the avatar, great looking pair of drakes. We should hook up and trade stories considering we are next door to each other.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by