Question about hardware cloth

buckabucka

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
We're about to purchase hardware cloth online.

1/4" will keep out mice and is 23 gauge.

1/2" will keep out rats and weasels, but perhaps not mice, and is 19 gauge.

Does anyone know which gauge is most effective? We have coons here. Would love to keep out mice, but does anyone know if 23 gauge is strong?

Thank you for any advice!

The gauge refers to the diameter of the wire in that makes up the cloth. 23 gauge is slightly smaller than 1/32 of an inch and 19 is half way between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. There is about .0240 difference of an inch which is not very much. Personally I would go with the 1/4 inch wire.

I have 19ga 1/2 in on my run and have not had a break in ever, including mice. I wouldn't say one is easier to work with than the other.

There is one overlooked issue with hardware cloth that is seldom brought up.If you enjoy watching your chickens during the day, compare the visual aspect of looking through 1/4 inch as compared to 1/2 inch. Just a thought.

Last edited:
thanks.

I had not considered the visual effect, but much of the year (winter) the hardware cloth will be covered with clear plastic (it's going on a hoop house). The 1/2" and 1/4" are the same price, which is why I started wondering which is better.

DH seems to think that because the 1/4" is thinner, it might be less likely to spring back and attack you after you unroll it. He hates working with hardware cloth so much, so I feel bad that I insist on having it, but I do believe it is the best protection.

I painted my hardware cloth and it improved the visibility tremendously. I plan on reapplying whenever needed.
There is special paint for galvanized metal, and maybe a special primer too - but if you are willing to reapply often you can just use exterior paint.
There are photos on my page, you can especially see in one photo the top gray area and the bottom darker area, a big difference!

I have 19ga 1/2 in on my run and have not had a break in ever, including mice. I wouldn't say one is easier to work with than the other.

There is one overlooked issue with hardware cloth that is seldom brought up.If you enjoy watching your chickens during the day, compare the visual aspect of looking through 1/4 inch as compared to 1/2 inch. Just a thought.

I painted my hardware cloth and it improved the visibility tremendously. I plan on reapplying whenever needed.
There is special paint for galvanized metal, and maybe a special primer too - but if you are willing to reapply often you can just use exterior paint.
There are photos on my page, you can especially see in one photo the top gray area and the bottom darker area, a big difference!

Yup, I have heard the painting works very well. In fact, I heard that on BYC. A search should bring up the threads on this subject.

I should have been more clear as I have hardware cloth over the windows in the coop and 2x3 garden fence for the run. As where most predators that are likely to break in are nocturnal,entry into the coop is what I fear. I think it is not so much the gauge of the cloth more so the size of the diameter of the squares. The bigger they are,the creatures can get their hands and teeth on them. although 1/4 and 1/2 inch there is not a problem but any bigger you could be asking for trouble. I am 2 years in and yet to have any problem other than a few hawks hanging around but not even endured an attack yet.

Bayman,love the avatar, great looking pair of drakes. We should hook up and trade stories considering we are next door to each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom