Question about hatcheries "Free" chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Feb 15, 2016.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi friends. This is my first year ordering from a hatchery as I've always used breeders. But financially the hatcheries make much more sense for me. I see most hatcheries have a "free" chick. Weather they call it "free exotic" or "meal maker" " mystery chick"ect
    as I looked at many different places I saw the free chicks sex couldn't be picked except for Meyers. They had female or male to choose from for there free chick. as for the other free chicks do they send mostly Males for their "free exotic" ect. or did I miss seeing the option to pick the sex?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty sure there isn't an option on any of the other hatchery's websites. Meyer doesn't exactly give you a choice, rather they go by what your order is consisted of (ex. if you've ordered 7 pullets, they'll give you another pullet, or if you've ordered the Fry Pan Bargain, which is a bunch of roosters for meat, they will include another roo). We've so far gotten two Meal Makers from Meyer, and they've both been female Barred Rocks, though that obviously isn't the only breed offered. [​IMG] It's so exciting to get new chicks!

-Alex

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Hi if you look on MEYERS website and go to Meyers Meal Maker you WILL now see the CHOICE. MMMF meyer meal maker female OR MMMM meyer meal maker male. you choose the sex now and then they go by similar birds meat for meat layers for layers maybe this is new??? :) but I agree VERY exciting to get a suprise breed!!♡♡

4. Alexandra33

Oops, an error on my part! [​IMG] I didn't realize that there actually was an option, but maybe either I didn't see it, or like you said, it's new. I guess I'm the one who learned something today! [​IMG] Oh dear, I'm so sorry for the unintended misinformation.

-Alex

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    [B
    [/B]

That's OK maybe it's a new thing. like I said it's my very first hatchery order :) so I wouldn't know when they started letting you pick. The only reason I said anything is i thought it was pretty nice they now let you choose :) you know what else? I was told by a representative in a email from Meyer that because my chicks are vaccinated they WILL vaccinate my free chick at NO COST to me!!:) Wow! I was SUPER impressed!!

6. Alexandra33

That is a great policy, is it not? [​IMG] We've ordered almost all of our chickens and ducks from Meyer (we live a little under 2 hours away from their facility), and we couldn't be happier with the service and poultry! Their birds are healthy, beautiful, friendly, and good quality for a hatchery since they get their stock from breeders. I would absolutely recommend Meyer to you for your first hatchery experience! [​IMG]

-Alex

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    That's so great to hear! I was very impressed with there customer service!! My chicks are coming Express and I didn't even have to ask for it. My only worry is i live in California. but I know they have successfully shipped to Alaska and that's much farther. I just PRAY they make the trip!!

8. Alexandra33

I'm sure they will! Just curious, what breeds are you getting? [​IMG]

-Alex

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I also was not aware of Meyers free chick offer. It’s been a few years since I got chicks from them. I knew a few others did something like that. Each hatchery is different. Many people like to think they are all the same but they are not. Each is an independent business with different people managing them. They have different policies and offers. You have to read the fine print to see what their policies are.

The hatcheries we use always hatch out a lot more males they don’t need than females. When they ship free chicks they often ship males. This is especially true with “packing peanuts”. Some hatcheries will sometimes add additional free chicks with the order to help provide heat during shipping, especially if bad weather is forecast. These are almost always male.

Cackle will occasionally add one extra chick of something that you ordered, male or female. They have a guarantee that they will deliver the number of chicks live so on occasion when they hatch extra chicks they might add an additional one to your order. That way, if you lose one, you still have the number of chicks you ordered. I got an extra Buff Orp from them once because of that policy. With an order of six straight run chicks I got seven pullets. I still don’t know if that was pure luck or if they messed up and thought my order was for pullets.

The hatcheries will try to do what they say they will. If you read the fine print and it specified breed or sex, they’ll try to do that. But if it doesn’t specify what it will be, just remember they hatch a lot more males than they need.

10. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    My free exotic on my first order from Mcmurray was a female EE. Lays a green egg everyday even this winter. I just got an order from them again on feb 3. I know my free exotic is a golden lace wyndote. I think it's a male it's the biggest chick out of all of them. But to soon to tell. I would think they send more males then females. Cause they have a lot of extra makes at hatcheries. But its also probably based on what they have extra of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by