Question about hatchery ordering

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fredster, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    This may be the wrong forum to ask this, and if it is, apologies in advance.

I'm thinking about ordering one of McMurray's "Heavy Assorted Straight Run" batches, to bulk up my flock (because as we all know, 70 chickens isn't enough already [​IMG] ).

Has anyone ever ordered one of these, or a similar one? Am I going to get 25 roosters out of 25 chicks, or will there most likely be a somewhat even spread of the sexes? I worry about getting the leftovers which I suspect would mostly be roos.

(this has been edited to add the 'out of 25 chicks' because I forgot that part the first time around)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you order straight run you're liable to get about 50/50. Fifty cockerels, fifty pullets.

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

You would most likely be "settling" for what the hatcheries have left at this point.
    Check this site:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock/large_fowl.php

You can see that if you order a straight run, you are obviously going to receive what is LEFT from their full listing.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's generally 50/50. I got lucky, when I ordered my birds from McMurray I got waaaay more pullets and roosters. And some people are the exact opposite and wind up with tons of roosters. It's the luck of the draw.

5. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    I called McMurray and asked them. They told me they set aside batches of eggs for these assortments, that they're not just the leftovers, so I should get a wide variety of breeds in both sexes.

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It sounds like a good deal to me, then.

7. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, me too!

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Last time i ordered from mcmurrays i got the rarest of the rare package and i'd say 70 percent were cockrels. It is definately luck of the draw.

9. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    The only experience I have with them was a straight run of 25 easter eggers and I received 26. So far at almost 8 weeks, I figure I have 8 or 9 cockerals, the rest are pullets

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    15 straight run partridge rock. 100% male. [​IMG] :thun Straight run is not always 50/50

This order I ordered 25 straight run from a different hatchery. They appear to be better split. But they're nine days old. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by