Question about hatching and candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If you candle when it is time for a chick to hatch would you see movement. I did this and I see veins but, no movement. Is this common? I am wondering if this chick is alive but, isn't healthy enough to come out. I haven't seen any egg movement at all.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I wouldn't worry so much about the movement. Just wait for it to hatch.

I just candled my eggs and didn't really notice movement in most of them, but they were good eggs with good development.

[​IMG]

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So have you had this happen before and had a healthy chick hatch out?

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine hatched with no problems.

What day are you on? Are they on lockdown??

If it's after day 18, the incubator should not be opened at all.

Have you checked out the Egg Candling Pics posted here?

It's very useful.

5. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I have had darker-shelled eggs and can't see a blasted thing until about 10 days, they are dark except for the aircell...they all hatched so I know I can't candle those...the lighter ones did nothing. Good luck!

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Well it was actually a bit of a confusing situation. I let my broody have two eggs to sit on and over the next week and half another one of my hens was sneaking in some eggs. Once I caught her I marked all the eggs she had so if she put anymore in I would know but, I let her keep all five that she had. So this egg could be up to a week and half behind the other but, I don't know. The first two I gave her hatched out about a week ago. My broody quit sitting on the other eggs once those two were born. So I checked them and this was the only one still developing, so I put it in the brooder. I turned it for a couple of days and kept candling. Well I put it in lockdown two days ago but, I haven't seen any movement. I couldn't take it anymore so I candled tonight and I didn't see any movement. I am not sure what day it is on. Why don't you open during lockdown? Is it just in case someone has pipped or is there another reason? What do you think?

[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When you candle you may not see any movement. Is the shell full? I would keep turning the eggs since you are not sure when they are due. I have had broody's that turn up to hatch. Depending on how high you keep your humidity at lockdown. Everytime you open the incubator the humidity and temp will drop and can cause the chick to shrink wrap where the membrane will dry out and shrink and stick to the chick preventing it from hatching. I keep my humidity on the high side at lockdown, around 75% so I really haven't had any problems since I have been doing this.

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So you said I should keep turning but, said I shouldn't open the incubator. I am confused, should I keep turning? So even if the chick hasn't pipped I could possibly shrink wrap it if I open to turn it????

Quote:

9. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I've read on here if there is a question such as yours to place the incubator in a bathroom. If you need to open it up, you steam up the bathroom and avoid shrink wrapping the chicks.

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Hmmm, I wonder if I have already shrink wrapped it. If it is time for it to hatch out would the veins become less prominent? I was just wondering because, they haven't become less prominent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by