Question about hatching duck eggs-answered....Updated with *Baby Pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SunAngel, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I posted this at the end of someone else duck egg hatching thread, but I wasn't sure how long before someone would see it there.

I have a question about hatching duck eggs... I have never hatched duck eggs before, but tossed 6 eggs into my bator and forgot to write down the exact day...duh. I estimated that they should hatch around May 2nd, could be sooner though. They are Blue/Black Swedish eggs. To my surprise 5 of the 6 developed with little duckies moving around in them. I have been misting them a couple times a day, but no cooling. My problem is, I have chicken eggs in there due to hatch this Wednesday and I am not sure if that will bother the duck eggs. I don't have a separate hatcher.

My main question about the duck eggs is that I noticed today that a few of the eggs have started to look bruised/discolored. The bruised area seems to be where the duckling is tapping on the side of the egg. I still see movement inside and hear pecking at the egg, no peeping yet though. Air cell has gotten bigger at the top and I can see movement from the bottom as well. Is this all normal or is the egg rotting? Should I try to assist hatching the discolored ones?

My humidity has been kept at 50% the whole time. I am having an issue with my chicks getting shrink wrapped when I keep my humidity any lower. I have added water to up the humidity for my chicks to hatch on Wednesday...hopefully that won't bother the duck eggs. I know staggered hatches are not a good idea, but I honestly didn't think the duck eggs would make it this far. I was only testing them.

Thanks for any insight smile

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Wow, I wish I had an answer for you, that is crazy about the bruise though, I've never heard of that.

I can tell you that I don't think hatching chicken eggs while the ducks are still developing is an issue, except that you cannot open the bator to turn the duck eggs.

I am actually doing the same thing as you, I threw a duck egg in with my chicken eggs, didn't really expect much, but it's developing well, my issue is that after the chicken eggs hatch, I have 25+ quail eggs that need to go in with the duck egg, I know I will have to make some sort of a devider for my bator for that hatch, othwise the duckling will make a omlett out of my quail eggs, LOL!

Good Luck!

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks and good luck with your staggered hatches too!

I called it 'looking bruised' but I am not sure if thats exactly correct. One side of the top half looks like it is darker...almost like it could have oil on it or be wet, but its not. A couple are looking like that, but there is definitely baby ducks in each of the eggs. I am trying not to get my hopes up for little ducklings, but its hard when you have watched them grow for a month. I can't tell if they have pipped into the air cell yet or are just pushing up on the membrane covering them.

Ok, I just took a quick peek at them and to me it looks like their heads are popping up near the top of the shell and I can hear tapping. I think at least 2 of them have pipped through the membrane. The other two, I can see the membrane being pushed up at the edge of the egg. I don't know whether to help or just leave them alone. I really don't want to lose them, seeing as this is my first attempt at hatching duck eggs. I guess I don't have much choice though, seeing as I am not sure if they are close enough to hatch time to be ready [​IMG] I am such a doof!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    If my records are really right, the duck eggs went into the bator on 4/4, which makes today day 23. They take 25-28 days to hatch, right?

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    28 days for most ducks, Muscovy ducks take 35 days.

6. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I've hatched my Swedish duck eggs for 2 years now (this being the 2nd year.) I know what you mean about the almost bruised look. Mine have done that too. Yes, it almost looks oily or something like that. Mine have pipped as early as day 25 or as late as day 28. They hatch within 12 hrs usually. Mine are faster than my chickens at pipping, zipping and hopping (flopping) out of the shell. I wouldn't worry about he chicks hatching before the ducks. If it was the other way around, I'd worry more. Ducklings are so messy, even in the incubator. I always have more fluff and poo to wash away after ducklings hatch. I've had staggered hatches both years too. Not the best of situations, but I've had decent luck hatching both chicks and ducklings in the same bator.
    Good Luck!
    Lisa

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The bruised look can mean a bad egg, but not when you can see a little bill in there poking around [​IMG]

The 3 I have hatched out took 3 days to get out of the egg. Don't be too impatient. I don't think the chickens in there will be much of a problem [​IMG]

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Whew, thanks, ok I won't worry as much.

If they are already pipping into the air cell, then my date must be off. I didn't think they could go 2-5 more days like they are, but maybe so. I have upped the humidity since my chicken eggs are due on Wednesday, hopefully that will help the ducklings hatch too. I will be super surprised and excited if any of these duck eggs hatch!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I had 3 of the 5 Swedish duck eggs hatch on the 28th! Yay! I think all 3 that hatched are blacks. The two that didn't hatch were both light blue [​IMG]

I am trying to figure out if the first duckling that hatched is a crested or is just having a bad hair day lol. All possible parents aren't crested.

Duckling #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duckling #2
    [​IMG]

Duckling #3 is still sleepy and not as livley as the first 2 but has more yellow.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That looks like a crested to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by