Question about hatching ducklings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TicketyBoo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. TicketyBoo

TicketyBoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Last year was my call ducks first year setting, the two of them laid eggs everywhere. It was like an easter egg hunt in the coop because of them. Finally they settled on a suitable nest spot (not anywhere near the provided boxes) and hatched out 7/13 eggs. But it was mid summer before they finally got down to the business of setting.

I'm expecting them to start laying any day now, they've been trying out different nests etc. and a couple of my hens (black sex links) are looking broody.
    Think I could convince the hens to hatch some ducklings for me?
    I've only heard of Banties setting on other eggs...

It would make life easier, if push comes to shove I will borrow an incubator and do it myself...but I'd rather use chicken labor if it's at all possible [​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Use the hens. I once had a little game hen hatch a goose egg. That was quite a sight. In a weeks time junior was as big a mom. Cute story. Maybe I`ll share it sometime.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can let a hen hatch duck eggs, but you need to mist the duck eggs everyday. As chickens and duck eggs both have different humidity needs. If you dont mist, the air sac will become too large and dried out, and the ducks wont be able to hatch.

4. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    All my ducks and ducks that went to a friend were hatched by my broody hens. Just be ready for the surprised momma's the first time the ducklings are old enough to get into water. One of my momma hens (Mini-Moo) paced all around the deer sled that I put water in for the ducks to have their first dip.[​IMG]

5. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by