Question about hatching...(pictures)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by classroomducks, Oct 29, 2009.

1. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So i have 3 beautiful babies...so happy.

but i have 3 more eggs that have had pips since yesterday. Two are just very small dome cracks...and one has been fluttering all day. The baby seems like it doesnt know that it has to zip...it just keeps pecking the same little hole. Is this normal? Id be really sad to lose these 3...how long do you wait before you do something? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    wait until day 30 to do something [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    okie dokie...poor little guy...just keeps peeping through that same little hole...man i wish i had these guys at home...i didnt get to see the first 3 hatch and Im thinking i might not get to see these guys either... [​IMG] oh well next year i guess lol

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    post this in hatching eggs because those guys know how to hatch em your self [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    If it is taking a long time after pipping, you want to make sure that you keep things moist. I have used a Q-tip with warm water to moisten the membrane. You don't want to drip water into the egg though. I have helped them out before, though some advise against it. I have taken an egg out of the incubator, holding it under a light so it stays warm, and broke off some of the shell around the pip that was not attached to the duckling. You have to be careful if the membrane it still attached it may bleed, at which time you want to stop. I would also advise going to the incubation and hatching section, because there is lots of information there. I would give the duckling plenty of time to hatch on its own first though.

Tia

6. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    thanks...i read a lot about the helping babies hatch last night in prep for these babies...i knwo how i would do it if i needed to help...i think if hes not out tomorrow i might consider helping him...he did make some progress. I made the 15 min drive to the school at 8:30 tonight in sweat pants and wife beater shirt praying my principal wasnt putting in over time... his hole is a bit bigger...so he is making progress...just REALLY slow...the other two eggs have been pipped since yesterday with no progress whatsoever. I think if they dont make it out by tomorrow i might have to do soemthing...casue that will be a full 48 hours pipped...i put them to a candle just to make sure they were still alive...they are...so as long as i hear and see them...i wont do much i dont think.

Thanks for your help.

7. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    When i came in this morning the little guy that had been on the same hole all night was trying to squeeze out of a little hole butt first...it doesnt look like he ever zipped. The cap was not taken off, just a hole...he looked like this:

[​IMG]

So i helped him just enough to make a bigger hole and he popped right out. Put him back in the bator...he unfolded and is now sleeping off the tramatic birth. But i was noticing he has two blood blisters on his bill. One on the side by his mouth:

[​IMG]

and one long one accross the whole top of his bill:

[​IMG]

sorry the pictures isnt the best...

But i remember someone talking and posting a picture of their baby with a blister...but i cant find it...I was wondering did it go away? Do I need to do something about it?

Thanks

8. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    has anyone ever seen blisters like this? do i need to worry or do something?

9. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    I have not seen them personally but do remember reading another post about them recently (for the life of me I can't find it again). I believe they are a sort of hemangioma and as long as the blisters don't get punctured and bleed they should eventually subside. I would imagine it could cause some bill development issues if they do get punctured. Try to make sure the duckling can't scrape his bill on anything (like wire of a cage) for now. Hopefully someone else will have some more concrete advice for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by