1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about hatching Turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tberggren, May 7, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    How do you do it?? [​IMG]
    I have a chance to get a few locally and thought I'd try to raise some for the Fall. Is it much different from hatching chickens?

Thanks
    Theresa

2. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Anyone??[​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My grandfather had a hatchery and he did a lot of turkeys. I don't believe they're any harder than chickens, ducks, quail, etc.... if you get them, good luck [​IMG]

4. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    We haven't found them any harder. We do all our eggs (peacock, pheasant, guinea, turkey and chicken) in the same incubator with the same settings. We have a GQF Sportsman, kept about 99.5 degrees, don't ask me the humidity I haven't a clue. [​IMG] I do know the turkeys take about 28 days to hatch.

5. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Thanks Guys, that's what I needed to know. [​IMG]

6. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    28 days otherwise no different really.
    I did have better luck hand turning than in the turner. My suspicion is the turner got the larger eggs too close to the heating element.

They take forever to to zip out!

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have 2 dozen heritage turkey eggs in the incubator now. I keep them at 99.5. It's a forced air incubator. I have read that turkeys do better with a little higher humidity during incubation. Something about the turkey nest being more humid that a chicken nest.
    Mine are due to hatch the 24th. Holland Whites and Bronze. I hand turn...because I don't have a turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by