Question about hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bizichick, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Two of the eggs I am incubating were suppose to hatch 2 days ago. They both have small cracks in them, one of them since early this morning. The one that cracked early this morning hasn't gotten bigger or changed at all. Its been about 15 hrs. I can hear chirping from the eggs, but is it normal for progress to take this long?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    It can take a long time from pip to zip....what is your humidity at?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote: Yes, perfectly normal. Once the chick pips the shell, it can be anything up to another 24 hours before you start to see any more progress being made. This 'resting' stage is an essential part of the hatching process and as long as everything else (temp, humidity etc) is correct, you shouldn't have to do anything to hurry them up or help them along. Just keep your humidity up high and try to be patient. Difficult, I know...

4. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Thanks so much for the information. The chick I was worried about finally made its full debut. :) In the meantime 3 others have hatched also. Now I am just worried about one that has had a hole cracked for about 10 hrs. It had its little beek out most of the day....talking. I can still see it breathing, but very quiet and not making progress. 2 others that pipped after him have long since hatched. Just never know when to intervene. I guess I will just sit on my hands and hope for a suprise chick in the morning. I am so new to this I am just anxious! :)

Thanks again for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by