Question about hawks

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
How big space for hawk or birds of prey can't land??

I got free range chickens in fenced area with bushes, trees and some other hiding spots for chicken.
But I saw hawk today in my yard's open space. It flew over but I chased away.

I know it will be back, it found my chickens...
I will yarn over the open space but not sure I should do whole free range area...

Cooper's Hawks can get into pretty tight spaces and they will go right into trees and bushes. But a tall fence with overhead string, wire, or fishing line seems to help deter them. Their mode of attack is to come in low and fast, so if you can disrupt that pattern they might go away.

I wouldn't put any faith in the over head cover of brush or trees. If they catch a glimps of them, they will just hop down through the brush and grab one of your birds and eat it there. I walked up on a huge red tail eating one of my hens in a very dense thicket of honeysuckle vines.

They will also land in a tree or on the top edge of a chicken pen. They can size things up and then attack from there. If there aren't any animals around and it's safe, I think they've even landed on the ground and attacked chicks in a cage that had wide openings. They don't always come swooping in from a long distance.

Really, it's so hard to know what they'll do. It just depends on how desperate they are and what their other hunting territory or prey choices are like.

We got a lot of rabbits this year and I have big field other side of the house.

I see hawks here and there but this is first time it was in my yard and so close to my chickens.

Quote:
I see posts here all the time that state that if hawks have enough "natural" prey, they won't bother your birds. I have to say, that is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. A chicken is a bird and birds are a hawks natural prey. They are just a LOT easier to spot and catch than most other birds, rabbits, squirrls and mice.

Dont be lulled into a false sense of security just because you have fields full of natural prey. That just attracts more predators to your area.

Your set up sounds a lot like mine. I have a secure coop and a huge open lot that I let them out during the evenings when I cannot sit out with them and let them free range. When I decide to let them on the lot, I know there is a risk from predators but it's a calculated risk. I think the birds are a lot happier when they are able to scratch around in grass the grass or leaf litter.

Good luck to you...

Back
Top Bottom