Question about heat lamp and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandydoodle, Oct 23, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Do 6 week old chicks need a heat lamp still. They are close to being feathered out. I am wondering if they can sleep out of the brooder tonight. It is going to go down to 42 degrees. Thanks so much for the help.

Michelle

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know if it would be okay to leave them out from under the heat lamp tonight?

3. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    If they are going to be inside....maybe..... I still have one light going in my coop. But just through the night.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes and No

They shouldn't suddenly go from 75 or 80 in the brooder to a night of 40ish. That's too dramatic.
    Better to ease them down, bit by bit, over this coming week. Lower the wattage the next couple nights, or if they are indoors, in 70F house, no heat at all. In a couple of days, take them to the coup, if you can still give them some night time assistance. Even if it is rigged up high so they don't get more than 55-60F benefit. By weeks end, their time of transition will be done. They will be just fine. Plus, they will be 7 weeks of age.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    If your girls are fully feathered they are going to bundle up together and do just fine. 40's is not cold. How many do you have? Have they been out to the brooder outside yet? Make sure you have the vents open in the brooder and put them in. Put them in with a real fuzzy teddy bear to gather around and hug in the night. They are doing OK Are You Mommy doing OK breathe!! [​IMG]

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    They have been in the brooder in the coop since they have been born. They have always had the heat lamp though. I have two new baby chicks that I need to put in the brooder so I was hoping I could take the six week olds babies out.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You could just dangle a lamp cord, or trouble light or similar to give them an edge for the first night or two. Just a thought. That would free up your brooder and lamp for the new chicks. Just sayin' no offense intended whatsoever, but those heat lamps aren't expensive. I keep a couple and have rigged up a couple more just by wiring up standard, porcelain sockets onto a cross beam. Works well. More than one way to skin a cat..... Oh probably shouldn't have used THAT analogy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote:I have a comparable setup. Mine were out of the brooder by week 3 ,with a heatlamp overhead. They will huddle together under the lamp for the night.

So my advice is to rig up a second heatlamp with a smaller wattage bulb in a corner of the coop for the nights and move them out of the brooder, then put your two new chickies in the brooder.

Mine are now 5 1/2 weeks and not totally feathered out, although they are getting there. I am switching off the heatlamp during the day and letting them have it at night still. They are out in the run most of the day anyway.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by