Question about heat lamps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ursusarctosana, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    I have cochin bantams sitting on Faverolle eggs due to hatch on February 11th. One hen is in a large dog crate and the other hen is in a brooding pen. Both are in the back room of my house where there is a slight draft, but it's much warmer than outside.

My question is whether or not I should install heat lamps even though the chicks will be with the brooding hens. What do you think?

I think I have everything set up. I'm using pine bedding. I have chick feed and all that. Any other suggestions?

This is the first time hatching. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    You could, I suppose, but there isn't much need. Hens are naturally programmed to raise chicks- they will huddle under her wings. When the hen is broody/caring for chicks, her underside is heated by extra blood vessels so it's very hot down there. The chicks will be fine. And you know, there's plenty of wild hens out there that raise chicks on their own.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Good luck with your eggs! [​IMG]

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am sure that your hens will do fine!!

However, could you deflect the draft with some large pieces of cardboard??

Good Luck!!

Cindy

5. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Thank you for the answers. I had confidence that my hens could handle it, but I wanted to make sure. (Things have changed, or so it seems, since I was little and grew up on a farm where the animals fended for themselves [for the most part].)

Cardboard to deflect the draft? Great idea!

Thank you both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by