Question about heat lamps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Miss Lydia, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just this afternoon I ordered 2 heat lamps from Premier 1 because they look very safe and are enclosed. Now I read about the fire justmandy had today and I am just a little freaked out about using them no matter how safe they may be. I wish I could show you the pic. of them but don't know how to get it here. We live in the Western N.C. Mountains and it was extremely cold last year. All my chickens and ducks are adults and I have seen some say they don't need heat. At what temps should someone add heat if at all? I guess I could send these back if I change my mind.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I like to add a red 250watt lamp when it gets into the 20s here in New England. Last winter was brutal and even with the lamp, the waterer still got frozen inside the coop. It's totally a personal preference as to whether or not to heat your coop. However, you have to be fastidious about securing it and double-securing it in case the first method fails.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Asheville, NC is my hometown. Knowing the weather in that location I can tell you that I would not add heat. I don't add it here either, and our winters are wetter here; though a tad bit warmer for the most part.

You can actually do the chickens a disservice by adding heat. Get them all used to a warm and cozy coop and have the power go out, your chickens will not be equipped to withstand it. Letting them acclimate to the colder temperatures is best, IMO.

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If you are raising adult bird's outside that have been graduated to the temp's don't bother.I live In Virginia and We basicaly have the same temp's.As long as they have a good enclosed area away from wind and stuff they should do fine.I have raised Silkie's, frizzle's, Serama, OE Up here.I have closed coop's at night though away from draft's and element's.My Serama's didnt like the snow on feet but would venture.I just wouldn't put any Young bird's out without a little heat or some good bedding of hay etc.I brooded some young silkie and OEGB last winter in basement for 2 months lol but ....They actualy had baby playpens(old ones) no light just next to furnace heat gaaaa.Just try keep nesting area warm with bedding and plenty of fresh water and food they will do just fine.If you find your water's are freezing at night invest in a couple extra and keep one inside to thaw and refresh next day that's what I did for 3 winter's with a Ton of bird's it's a lot of work but less costly with heat and the worry.Messy but that come's with the territory.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Define "extremely cold"--my chickens do fine even when it get 20 below inside(can get lower than that outside) the coop with no heat. Over the last 25 years I had as few as 18 or so birds in a 12 X 12, insulated coop that is wired for electricity with a lot of ventilation but no drafts. They continue to lay all winter with 14 hrs or so of timed light(florescent). The only heat is an under-waterer, galvanized one.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay woodmort you won! can't say that it's been 20 below inside the coop. It was 20 and more below outside with the wind chill. Our coop isn't insulated but it is built tight with good ventilation, so I guess we're good to go without heat. Thanks to all who answered.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I'm not trying to win, just trying to keep things from getting out of hand. BTW, wind chill doesn't mean anything if the chickens are inside out of the wind. That and "heat index" are just somethings weather people like to use to make things sound worse than they really are. [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

One option is to use a light bulb, 100 or 60 watt.

I use them instead of heat lamps, having had a heat lamp explode for me outside under a tarp in the rain.

If you do use them, secure them two ways. I provide a light bulb when it gets down to 20. Where I live, that usually is only for a couple of weeks (Pacific NW) and so the birds won't suffer for that short time.

If we saw 20 degrees a lot, I wouldn't provide the light. I agree with getting the winter down, so they don't freeze to death if the power goes out.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    woodmort I need to rephrase what I meant, you won on the lowest temps. I am a very over protective chicken-duck- dog owner. I understand what you are saying and I am not going to use heat, but I would like to know who decided that chickens and ducks can take such severe weather?has there been studies done, this is only my 2nd year with chickens 7th with ducks. 30years wow wish I had known chickens 30 years ago, they are so neat. Also I would be a little worried about leaving a light bulb burning all night wouldn't disturb their sleeping? I think my game hen would probably go beserk and kill everyone lol!!

10. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Quote:I guess you could say that our ancestors decided that. They selected for animals that could withstand their climate. Anything that could not tolerate the climate did not survive, as people did not have resources to expend on delicate livestock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by