Question about HEAT LAMPS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by t-dawg, Jul 24, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    Well, my heat lamp just broke,(bulb is fine) and my chicks are on their way, could i just use a normal lamp + the heat bulb?

2. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Not a good idea, my bulb says it must be in a porcelin socket because it will melt a plastic one and be a fire hazzard. [​IMG]
    That style of lamp is called a brooder lamp because it has a porcelin socket.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I would use a normal lamp & 100w bulb instead of the heatlamp.

I have a 100w bulb in my brooder box (large cardboard box) and the temp stays around 95F. The chicks can get directly under the light or the edge of it, depending on how hot the building gets

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I stay away from heat lamps, I think they're overkill. The lamp I use has a large reflective shield around the bulb and has a clamp on it so I can attach it right to the brooder. I use a regular 100 watt bulb and it heats the brooder right up to 95 degrees without a problem.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    i have my heat bulb in one of those clip up metal shop lights you buy at walmart, Never knew about the plastic socket things.... mine has never melted, and no fire (((knock on wood)))

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I stay away from heat lamps, I think they're overkill. The lamp I use has a large reflective shield around the bulb and has a clamp on it so I can attach it right to the brooder. I use a regular 100 watt bulb and it heats the brooder right up to 95 degrees without a problem.

I use one of those too, you can get from your local walmart too. [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I just got a worklight fixture from walmart. Could also get one from any nearby hardware store. It holds up to a 120w bulb which is more than I need. In fact I'm down to a 40w bulb and with the light over 30" above the bedding the thermometer still read about 90F in my 80F house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by